Tuesday, April 29, 2014

We've Got Game!

Clue: This popular arts organization will be highlighted as one of the categories on this Wednesday's episode of Jeopardy!

If you answered "What is Norman Rockwell Museum?" You are correct! If you also guessed that yours truly was responsible for landing the Museum on the popular, nationally syndicated TV game show, you have made it to the bonus round, my friend!

This is "Jeopardy"... live from Norman Rockwell's studio!
Photo by Jeremy Clowe for Norman Rockwell Museum. All rights reserved.
Last summer I was watching the show at my local gym, and noticed that the next category was "Walt Disney"—I took note, since we were showing an exhibition at the Museum on the art of Disney's Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs. The clues in this category were unique, since they were filmed on-location at the Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco; that had me even more intrigued, since they were the ones who had organized our summer show. 

So I reached out to the Disney Museum, to see if they might have a contact at Jeopardy that I could try and get in touch with, and pitch the idea of a category on "Norman Rockwell." As I explained, the nature of Rockwell's illustrations; inspired by history, current events, favorite pastimes, and art; and the way that the artist's popularity has endured over the years made it seem like the perfect idea for a category—I was happy to hear that the game show's producers agreed.


Sarah Whitcomb Foss and Jimmy
McGuire, members of the "Jeopardy!"
Clue Crew, observe Rockwell's
"Golden Rule" at Norman Rockwell
Museum, December 2013.
Photo by Jeremy Clowe for Norman
Rockwell Museum. All rights
reserved.
Last December producers and members of Jeopardy's Clue Crew visited the Museum and filmed several segments in the Museum's galleries. The clues, which I helped create, were staged in front of many of Rockwell's iconic paintings from the Museum's permanent collection, and in the artist's original studio. It was a very professional crew that visited that day, and the production was quite streamlined (I only wish that Alex Trebek, an apparent art-lover, could have made it out to Stockbridge). I learned a good deal watching the crew, and conferring with the show's dedicated researchers. 

So this Wednesday, April 30, I get to see how this entire shoot, which I helped coordinate, plays out in the context of the show (I can already hear the theme music). This is actually the first of several categories filmed at the Museum that will air over the next few months. As they say, "check your local listings"... 

And if you can't wait until Wednesday, check out this interview I conducted today with WAMC Radio. Let me know what you think of the show, and how many questions you get right at home. Cue the theme music, Alex...

Related Links (updated 4/30/14):

Jeopardy! website

"This Is... The Norman Rockwell Museum To Be Showcased on JEOPARDY!" WAMC Radio, April 28, 2014 

"Rockwell Museum to be featured on 'Jeopardy'," Schenectady Gazette, April 30, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment