Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Talking Pictures

"Good evening Mr. and Mrs. America, and all the ships at seas"...
photo by Deborah Greene.
Happy St. Patrick's Day! 

This morning I spent some time back in front of a microphone, practicing my best "1940s radio voice" for some digital modules the Museum is working on. Basically, I was asked to record a letter from our archives, that had been written to Norman Rockwell back in 1948 by an executive involved with the production of his Lineman illustration for AT&T (the original painting is part of our permanent collection). The executive is asking Rockwell to make corrections to the work, in order to make it appear more accurate. Something about the formality of the letter reminded me of old audio you come across from those days, when public figures seemed to talk in an affected, clipped manner (why was that?). I think it was the right call.


Rockwell on the line... photo of NRM's George
Church with the original painting. 
The cordial yet firm reply from Rockwell was read by my dapper colleague George Church, who actually had a career in radio for many years (I always enjoy hearing George's stories of working in the Los Angeles market, interviewing Bobby Darin and the like). These digital modules, linked to paintings from the Museum's collection, will also include excerpts from video interviews I have conducted with Rockwell models over the years, and should be ready by the end of the year (most likely in the form of a mobile app).

Below is a further look at the Museum's archives and collections, courtesy of an interview I conducted with American Lifestyle TV last year. It's a little weird to see myself on the other side of the camera here, but my responses come across pretty solid (lucky me!).


No comments:

Post a Comment