Monday, January 11, 2016

Sound + Vision


"Turn and face the strange...ch-ch-ch-ch-changes, just gonna have to be a different man..."

I'm sure it's pretty obvious to anyone who has seen me take the stage- David Bowie was a HUGE influence. I always had him in the back of my mind... how I imagined the perfect rock star should sound and look. It was art and rock and soul.

This past summer I had my first shot as front man (really) for a live music band- it seemed absolutely fitting that I start by singing a medley of two of his biggest tunes, "Suffragette City" and "Fame." Honestly, I could have done a whole set of his songs.

All that is good... alternative/indie rock...whatever they are calling it these days...owes a huge debt to Bowie. He was always exciting and consistent...one of the few. A true performer, who brought drama and intelligence and tons of creativity to the world of music.

I'm so glad I had a chance to see him live on a handful of occasions, and sad that I won't have another chance. But his spirit will live on, that's for sure... how could it not?

R.I.P. and THANK YOU, Ziggy Stardust.


No comments:

Post a Comment