Monday, December 12, 2016

Soul Power

Day off! I spent today doing my own thing... working on some music research, and practicing my own (with help from my new purple velvet guitar strap - R.I.P. Prince). 


Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings giving the people what they want
in Cooperstown, NY, May 28, 2016. Photo: Jeremy Clowe
It’s been a rough year for music losses this year. This past month, soul diva Sharon Jones joined the ranks of the dearly departed, finally succumbing to the pancreatic cancer she had bravely battled over the last couple years.  

Classic soul music has long been one of my favorite musical genres, yet it took me a while to truly appreciate Ms. Jones’ talent. Oh sure, I had admired her backing band The Dap-Kings, after hearing their work with the late Amy Winehouse, and knew the Daptone record label was quality, but at first I wasn’t sure Jones (or her songs) had enough grit for my taste… but, as she sang, “I learned the hard way…”



In 2013 I heard her song “Retreat!” a perfect, urgent slice of retro soul. Suddenly I found myself digging (and digging) a little deeper into their discography. The music was hearfelt... impeccably performed and produced, and preserving a style I have grown to love over the years. Seriously, I love soul music… can't get enough of it. I feel like I was born a little late (well, I was in the single digits when Philly Soul and funk were happening). My admiration for  Sharon Jones grew even more when I heard her state in a radio interview that she could be doing any kind of musical genre (and there are plenty more successful at the moment), but her heart was with classic soul.

Photo: Jeremy Clowe
I think it was around the same time they released the brilliant album Give The People What They Want, that we first heard about Jones’ cancer. Talk about heartbreaking. This past weekend I finally watched the 2015 documentary Miss Sharon Jones!, which follows the singer’s musical and personal life from the onset of her illness. It was touching and inspiring to learn how she battled the cancer and found strength to keep performing (with help from her bandmates). The documentary was also revealing in the way it showcased the very real struggle that working musicians face when their livelihood becomes threatened… they loved Sharon and they loved the music, so they found a way.

Photo: Jeremy Clowe
I was so glad we finally had a chance to see Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings perform this past May. It was one of those shows that just made me happy. Of course I was dancing… of course I was taking loads of photos. The concert took place at the hip Brewery Ommegang in Cooperstown, and I just learned from the documentary that Jones was receiving much of her treatment in the area. Rest in peace, miss lady soul. I cross my fingers that the Dap-Kings find a way to continue... in these “dark times,” we need them more than ever.

On a brighter note, I just learned that Albany has it’s own monthly soul music night at the swanky Savoy Taproom. I think we’re talking DJs spinning their own boatload of rare vinyl (a la Northern Soul)…. Wow. Very exciting news. I’m also looking at ways to return to radio... use music as a way to get through the next year and new administration. I’ll keep you posted. Sho’nuff.


No comments:

Post a Comment