Sunday, October 6, 2013

Say My Name

Wow. We finally made it through the entire Breaking Bad series. Only a week behind the airing of the final episode... not bad timing, I'd say.

The finale was perfect− a fine ending to one of the best TV shows ever. There were, in fact, so many great moments during the series that it's hard to remember them all... Two of my favorite shows came during the tail end of last year (part one of season five), and epitomize all that I have come to love about the show: suspense, conflicted characters, and deft artistic touches: the visual montage during the end of episode 8 ("Gliding Over All") was amazing... playing Tommy James & The Shondells' classic "Crystal Blue Persuasion" was a delightful tribute to character Walter White's infamous blue-tinged crystal meth empire.



Courtesy AMC.
The episode before that ("Say My Name") was yet another turning point, as White becomes increasingly dark... more confident in his abilities, yet further distancing himself from his one-time associates. If Breaking Bad were a book it would be a page-turner, and I can't get over the consistent level of quality that series creator Vince Gilligan and his talented crew of actors, writers, and filmmakers have brought to the television medium.

Of course with works of art that I love, it will be fun now to analyze the show and figure out its various meanings; one thing that has piqued my interest along the way has been its use of color: from the recurring strain of purple (especially in the character Marie, played by the delightful Betsy Brandt) to the often terrifying use of red (on the floor of Gus' meth lab and the interior of Mike's car)... I revel in the details, and this show had them in spades. 

Finally, Bryan Cranston must be the luckiest actor in the world... to have had the opportunity to play a conflicted character like Walter White, and so effortlessly pull off his transformation into one of the screen's all-time great villains is no small feat. Even during the last few minutes of the show, I still found myself with a touch of sympathy for the devil. The show's recent promos used the phrase "remember by name," and I won't soon forget the monster that was "Heisenberg."



"Breaking Bad" as Heisenberg in a screen test 
for filmmaker Ben Hillman's "Bomb Squad." 
Photo ©Jeremy Clowe.
Recently I had a fun remembrance, that Cranston isn't the only actor with experience "breaking bad" as a Heisenberg. Shortly after starting work in Western Massachusetts over ten years ago, I actually portrayed German physicist Werner Heisenberg (who inspired Walter White’s alter ego) for a local filmmaker working on a musical about the story of the atomic bomb, which Heisenberg played a part in. I donned my best lederhosen as well as a radiation suit for the screen test, which we filmed on a Berkshire soundstage—brave souls can watch the promo here

In the meantime, Breaking Bad makes me think about how little is "black and white" in this world. For any future acting, I expect to keep this show in mind as a lesson in how to present rich, nuanced characters. 

Another thing that has resonated with me about this show is the idea of control, power and, indeed, masculinity. In one of my other all-time favorite episodes, "Hermanos" (season four, episode eight), there is a wonderful exchange during a scene that takes place in hospital waiting room between Walt and a fellow cancer patient. As the man explains how hard it is to learn how to give up power over his situation, Walt counters by saying, "Never give up control... live life on your own terms..." His moral approach is obviously flawed, but I think more and more about the idea behind Walter White's sentiment− in terms of life and creativity, I think there is a lot of truth to consider in that statement and this wonderful work of fiction.

Related Links (Spoiler Alert!):

"Breaking Bad" official site

"The Toxic Masculinity of 'Breaking Bad'" (and counter arguments)Wired, October 5, 2013


"'Breaking Bad' Color Theory: The Subtle Symbolism And Meanings Behind The Colors In AMC's Hit Series," International Business Times, September 27, 2013 

"Breaking Bad" Cast Interview, Charlie Rose, August 29, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment