Tuesday, January 21, 2014

I'm All Ears

To celebrate a week that finally saw an end to my annoying ear infection (not a pleasant way to start the year), I thought I would share some examples of what I am listening to these days:



Soul singer Sharon Jones found herself battling an even more serious health problem (the big "C") over the last year, forcing her to postpone a tour and album with her band, the Dap-Kings. I'm so happy to hear that she is better and that her new album, Give The People What they Want, was released last week. Soul music fan that I am, I had really been looking forward to hearing this one, as the first two singles, "Retreat" and "Stranger To My Happiness," are slamming! The rest of the album mellows out a bit, contains some "iffy" lyrics, and I wish there was more "fire" on the other tracks, but you can't deny its overall musicality.

Continuing on the retro-tip, Sarah and I love the cover of the old American folk song, "Fare Thee Well (Dink's Song)," which is featured on the soundtrack for the new Coen Brothers' movie, Inside Llewyn Davis. I haven't seen the movie yet (which I hear is "loosely/controversially" based on the life of singer Dave Van Ronk), but if the music is any indication, it should be interesting! 


Lead actor/singer Oscar Isaac joins Marcus Mumford (of Mumford & Sons) on the track. Every time I hear it on the radio, it makes the thought of our currently bitter cold weather a little more bearable...

Speaking of warmth, Shins frontman James Mercer continues to come up with the heartfelt goods on his latest single with side project Broken Bells:


"Holding On For Life" is the latest in a string of interesting, melodic tracks from Mercer-- this one has sort of a "Bee Gees" kind of vibe to it, which might explain the title of Broken Bells' forthcoming album, After the Disco (set for release on February 4). It's funny... I once resisted The Shins, thinking they were a bit pretentious, but this is classic pop song craft. Maybe I need to give the rest of Mercer's back catalogue a try... (The Shins did surprise me by releasing my favorite album of 2012Port of Morrow)

So bring it on, 2014... if this is any indication of the year to come, and my own musical aspirations pan out (doing more singing, and just got a new amp for my electric guitar!) I like the sound of it.


Related Links:

Rolling Stone, January 17, 2014

"Ring The Bells," Halesowen News, January 18, 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment