Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Soundtrack of the Year

Hmmph... we discovered a bit of a surprise upon arriving at The Lumineers' free show at the Upstate Concert Hall last night...around 2000 other people thought it was a good idea to check out as well! The line weaved it's way through the parking lot of this modest strip mall (don't ask), and unfortunately we were on the side of "over-capacity" to even think about entering the small club. Too bad. I noticed on the band's Facebook that they had tried to play a few songs outside to make it up to the rest of us, but the cops had other ideas. We decided to head back to Schenectady with one of my fellow improv mates for drinks at the Bier Abbey, so it ended up being a good night after all.


I'm sure we'll catch the band some other time. I love their new album... in fact, it made it on to my top 10 list for the year. Yes, it's that time... can't resist the trend for making one of these year-end lists, especially when it comes to music... so here's to you, 2012:

10. Divine Fits, A Thing Called Divine Fits

When I first started hearing the song "Would That Not Be Nice" on the radio, I thought that it must be the newest from the band Spoon... I was half-right. The distinctive vocals were indeed from Spoon's lead singer, Britt Daniel, but also backed up by musicians from such bands as Wolf Parade and Handsome Furs. There is a bit more strange retro keyboard sheen on this supergroup's debut album, and that's all good.

9. Delta Spirit, Delta Spirit 

"California," the lead single from Delta Spirit's self-titled album, hinted at a return to glory... but still shy of their masterpiece: 2008's Ode to Sunshine. A little rougher sound this time out, hinting at an exploration of new sonic territories for the San Diego band (one of my favorites). 



8. Bruce Springsteen, Wrecking Ball

I tend to avoid the crowd when it comes to picking favorite music, but I do admire Bruce Spingsteen. In this case, the lead single "We Take Care of Our Own" was one of the year's most exciting tracks... the rest of the folk-tinged album holds up, and was an inspiring, rallying cry for this fragmented election year. 

7. Alabama Shakes, Boys & Girls

Hearing this Southern band's bluesy sound was a nice surprise! I first thought that the husky lead vocals were from a man, but remained impressed when I realized it was the soulful Ms. Brittany Howard... channeling Janis Joplin. "I Found You" should have been played at our wedding.



6. Django Django, Django Django

If a garage/surf rock band from the 1960s started messing around with Kraftwerk's electronics, I imagine this is what they would sound like. "Default" was one of the year's best, quirky tracks.

5. Diego Garcia, Laura

Well... this album was actually released last year, and we were already intrigued by such songs as "You Were Never There" that we started hearing on the radio, but seeing the artist perform live in Albany this past February sold it for us... so much so that we chose one of his songs as the first dance at our wedding. Wonderful instrumentation and songwriting on this ode to unrequited love... extra points that the Latin alternative artist invited us up on stage to dance at his show this past summer.

4. Frank Turner, England Keep My Bones


As wonderful as the year was, I also had my share of frustrated moments... This feisty British songwriter's album (also released in 2011) served as a great soundtrack, as I learned to channel my anger into a positive direction. Like a young Billy Bragg calling out life's many inequalities, he never strayed too far from great, spirited melodies.


3. The Lumineers, The Lumineers

Charming, heart-felt indie-folk. "Stubborn Love" may be one of the most beautiful songs I have heard in years...

2. J.D. McPherson, Signs & Signifiers

Major label release for an album that was originally released a couple years old... yet it sounds like it could have been recorded back in the late 1950s! Pure, rockabilly soul that might actually intimidate the Stray Cats... tight, backing band; effortless songs; and some serious soulful swagger from McPherson, a former art teacher. They don't need to change a thing, and I can't wait to see them live at some point.

1. The Shins, Port of Morrow


A couple years back, I never thought I would find myself expressing an interest in The Shins. In addition to that "popularity" thing mentioned above, I found the band's 2007 music to be a little too precious... pretentious... studied. However when I heard "Simple Song" off this year's album, I was hooked... I listened to this album non-stop on Spotify (one of the year's best tools!) before finally venturing out to buy a physical copy (not an easy task in these digital download days). Singer-songwriter James Mercer seemed to let his guard down with these tracks, which showcased romantic yearning, melodic hooks, and plenty of songwriting smarts. Maybe I was wrong about these guys... if so, please forgive me, Natalie Portman.



So there you have it... a wonderful year for music. Who said rock was dead?

No comments:

Post a Comment