Friday, February 6, 2015

Encore!

Exciting news to share: I made it into the finals of the karaoke competition at Bourbon Street Bar & Grill! Around 22 talented contestants took to the Colonie, NY venue's stage last Wednesday, singing to a full house on a cold, wintery night. With both friends and family there to cheer me on, I won myself a spot as one of the lucky ten finalists chosen to advance to the final round next Wednesday night. I say "lucky" because the competition was quite strong—there are some seriously talented singers in the Capital Region... I have my work cut out for me next week! Nevertheless, I have been doing my fair share of practicing, and my stage presence continues to receive high marks... thanks to everyone for the continued support and well-wishes.


Set to rock in Rio! A-ha photographed by
Just Loomis, December 2014. Photo © and courtesy
www.a-ha.com
Speaking of music awards, I was reminded that last week marked the 24th anniversary of my favorite band, A-ha setting a Guinness World Record for largest concert attendance during their show at Rio de Janeiro's Maracanã Stadium on January 26, 1991. Over 198,000 people attended the concert, which was presented as part of the Rock in Rio II festival. Here is a link to a video of me interviewing band member Magne Furuholmen about the experience, back in 2005.

Brazil's Rock in Rio festival began in 1985, the same year that A-ha had their worldwide breakthrough with the song "Take On Me" and debut album Hunting High and Low (to say those works made an impact on me is an understatement). Late last year it was announced that this year's Rock in Rio will celebrate the 30th anniversary of both festival and band, by inviting A-ha back for a reunion concert. The Norwegian trio, which officially disbanded at the end of 2010, will play together once again for this special September show in the country where they were a household name, with a string of top charting hits. You can read more about the upcoming concert on the band's website.


With friend at Seattle's Music Experience Project, October 2014
Photo ©Jeremy Clowe. All rights reserved.
As far as I have heard, this reunion concert will be a one-off, but who knows... maybe 
A-ha will take us on once more?(there is an offshoot Rock in Rio festival taking place in the U.S. this May but... I won't hold my breath.

Ok, back to my own practicing...


Related Links:

"A-ha Return to Rock in Rio for a Very Special 30th Anniversary Concert," press release, December 4, 2014, A-ha.com

No comments:

Post a Comment