Thursday, December 31, 2015

Year in Music

Better Late Than Never... too true! August 2015. Photo: Gerard Coleman. 
We've reached that time... when everyone (including yours truly) starts sharing their "best of" lists. In terms of music, 2015 was an amazing year for me (but not for the typical reasons). 

No, there wasn't much that stood out on the radio. Pop music, in general, seems to be getting more bland (read: more synthesized and calculated), less exciting. Critics went as far as complaining that there was no obvious "song of the summer." In my book, there is one notable exception: a rollicking rocker, who literally came out of left field...with some serious soul...son of a b****!:


Nathaniel Rateliff and The Night Sweats delivered an album that I never tired of listening to this year. The tunes: catchy, the delivery: passionate, and the performances: "live"... like JD McPherson, who preceded him, there is a purity to this music. No coincidence that I am attracted to yet another musician taking a nod from classic soul and the blues. Damn, this is fine music. An inspiration.

In the running! Photo: Mike O'Brien
At the same time, I can feel my tastes changing...becoming more critical and refined... This new perspective is most likely due to the new musical insights I gained personally over the past year. 

I started the year with a song. Encouraged by the response I had been receiving for my karaoke at Bourbon Street Bar & Grill, I decided to enter a singing competition (something I had never done before). Nervous? Nah... all my stage performances over the years prepared me well. Here are some of the generous comments from the judges: 

"Best stage presence I've seen in 2 years. Great song choice!"

"Performance was unlike any I have ever seen before! Simply awesome!"

In fact, I received a perfect score for stage presence. They told me this was actually a first for the competition, which had been running for seven years. Needless to say, I made it to the semi-finals, and that is where my work began.


I took the contest quite seriously (a $1000 prize didn't hurt). Having an event to prepare for was quite good for me—made me extremely focused and driven. I was in a state of "total bliss" practicing every day. Still, there was a lot to learn as I worked through a winter cold, vocal warmups and strengthening breath support (professional vocal coach, Eric Arceneaux has some online tutorials that I found extremely helpful). 

My practicing also benefitted from my guitar playing, which I have been honing since the summer of 2014. Rehearsing for the competition was made much easier with my electric guitar, which I used to practice scales and singing in different keys and tempo.

Leaving "body and soul" at Bourbon St.
The semi-finals arrived, and I felt really good and prepared. I gave it my all, and appreciated the support from friends and new fans, who turned out for the competition. I also realized just how talented the other singers were! I was, of course, very pleased to make it into the finals...but realized I still had my work cut out for myself. 

There were some singers in the competition who really had stellar voices, and it was helpful just to watch them. I think I can hold my own, but know I need more training in the singing department. I still gave it my all, and even planned out a little routine for my performance—in hindsight, I may have started thinking a bit too much. 

Although I did not win the competition, it whet my appetite. I actively looked for more opportunities to perform music as the year progressed. 

In June I found myself in Brooklyn, and my friend took me to a live band karaoke night that he had been to a couple times. Rock Star Karaoke is a tight, seasoned group of musicians that play around the New York City area, and has quite an impressive list of songs in their repertoire. I felt completely at ease with them, and enjoyed the spontaneity of performing with a live band... they even followed me down a "classic soul" rendition of the Muppets' "Rainbow Connection"... I don't know how that came to pass, but totally appreciated the opportunity (and patience of my wife!).



Raving about this experience lead to my next performing opportunity. A friend of a friend was gearing up for a summer performance with his band and, hearing my enthusiasm for playing live, asked me if I might join them as a front man? Now, this was an interesting turn of events... be careful what you wish for! 

Burning up... in Burnt Hills
The plan was to join the band, made up of work colleagues, for a staff picnic/concert to be held in the Capital Region that August. They called themselves Better Late Than Never, and you couldn't find a more appropriate name for me. Thus began my experience of joining a "garage/jam band," and starting weekly rehearsals. 

And these guys were tight: made up of an extremely talented (and young) guitar virtuoso, rhythm guitarist, bassist, and drummer... I could not believe my luck during rehearsals in their well-equipped practice room. I think I surprised them as well, with my stage presence. 

Although I continue to be complimented for my performing, one of my goals this year has been to learn how to balance my onstage antics with some more focused singing. You can't be jumping around and expect to maintain the breath support you need. As I worked to memorize the surprisingly long setlist(!), I focused again on my warm-ups...singing from the diaphragm. 


The day of the show arrived, and I felt like I had really become part of a band (creative squabbles and all!). Our set was a mix of classic/dad rock and more modern numbers...they also let me add a little soul into the mix.




I bounded on to the outdoor stage, launching into a couple of David Bowie numbers, and there was no looking back. The response from the crowd was quite positive, and I even had some kids come up afterwards, telling me how "cool" I was! I further strengthened my vocals and stage presence.

Wanting to keep the momentum going, I immediately put an ad on Craigslist, looking for other interested musicians to jam with. Although I had a few promising inquiries, nothing came to pass...unfortunately... and, to this point, Craigslist seems about as useful for finding musicians as it is in selling a used car.


Brothers in arms! Keeping it electric- December 2015
As I entered the fall, work and family matters became my focus. I did, however, continue my weekly electric guitar lessons. As I mentioned, I started taking lessons in August 2014, courtesy of the fine folks at Hilton Music CenterMy brother-in-law, Joel actually works there as a repair man, and was kind enough to refurbish and gift an old Fender Stratocaster to me. My teacher, Zac is a very competent, gigging musician, and shares the interest in groove-based music (his main instrument is bass). 

For me, getting over the hump of learning music has been a challenge...surprising, since both of my parents are musicians. I grew up playing violin, guitar, piano, and singing, but guess I always felt a little overwhelmed by practicing and memorizing (being a perfectionist doesn't help). So, making the commitment to weekly lessons for this past year and a half has been great for me, and I have graduated from occasional plinker to fairly competent beginner. 

I keep having breakthroughs, and my lessons in chords, scales, and single notation have a way of catching up. My teacher has noticed. This fall/winter I have found myself actually enjoying sitting down to practice, and I have a handful of songs that I can perform with some degree of skill. It's great, because it is the perfect accompaniment for my singing. Over the holidays, I could notice my growth in both areas... I have surprised myself.



Looking back on 2015, I'm proud of myself for finally getting serious about a long-time goal. None of the examples I have shared on this blog are perfect, but I'm putting it (and myself) out there. Some guy on Craigslist called me brave for trying to get things going, but that's not that point. Music gives me so much... it, quite literally, takes me to a different place... I've always suspected that. This past year I strengthened that musical muscle, flexed my creativity and sense of adventure, and met some talented, fellow musicians in the process. Here's hoping I can keep that good note going into the next year...

No comments:

Post a Comment