Tuesday, December 29, 2015

All In a Year's Work

Finishing up my last day of work for the year at Norman Rockwell Museum, I thought I would try and collect a few thoughts. 2015 has certainly had it's share of highlights. Maybe I should start backwards... 

Since Norman Rockwell was known for his Christmas-themed illustrations, the holidays are always a big time of year for us. This month I had all kinds of press contacting me, including WIRED, a lifestyle website in Brazil, and WDEL Radio's "Saturday HotSpot"—the latter showed up on my radar a year ago, when host Frank Gregory called with interest in doing a segment on the Museum for the holidays. I guess it went well, because Gregory (a self-proclaimed Rockwell fan), had me on his show not once but twice over the past month. Here is the generous segment we did on November 7, where I talked about everything from our history, holiday events, and traveling exhibitions, to our new show on illustrator Harvey Dunn (who just happened to start his career in Wilmington, Delaware, where the station is based- lucky coincidence):



"CBS Sunday Morning" also called, looking for material on Mary Doyle Keefe, the model for Rockwell's "Rosie The River" (who passed away last April). Did we have any interview footage with Keefe? Yes, one of countless interviews I have conducted with Rockwell models over the years. I sent them a portion of a video I did with Keefe back in 2002, and you can hear a portion of it included in their "Passages" segment, which aired this past Sunday. 

Fortunately, I had the chance to create a few video productions of my own for the Museum this past year. The latest was this promo for our annual fund (not too late to donate, folks):


2015 was all about trying to master our new HD camera, and Adobe Premiere Pro. Final Cut Pro still feels more intuitive for me (maybe because I have been using it for so long), so I continue to use that editing software at home. I guess it doesn't hurt to be well-versed across platforms. 

All aboard... the simple pleasures at NRM.
Photo by Jeremy Clowe. All rights reserved.
Sometimes I keep it "low-tech" and just pull out my iPad or Android and start filming things, like I did with a recent trip down Main Street Stockbridge, immortalized in Rockwell's "Home for Christmas" painting. You can watch my "quickie" edit here

A couple things to point out about that video: how lucky I was that at the end of my drive, there was a car turning down the main road with Christmas tree attached to the roof (just like in the painting!). I also liked the way this quickie synced up with the Vince Guaraldi Trio (holiday music that gets me in the spirit every year). Others seemed to agree, as the video received over 400 likes and was shared nearly 300 times on Facebook...not bad for a quick, creative exercise to promote our holiday events.

Of course, my creativity connected me in other wonderful ways this year. I had the chance to interview New Yorker cartoonist Roz Chast for a video featured in our summer exhibition. It was fun to get a glimpse of her Ridgefield, Connecticut studio, and learn how she comes up with her ideas. I will also never forget our trip to New Haven to take part in an interview for WNPR. I keep thinking the trip, sprinkled with idiosyncratic moments (all mine!), might make it into one of her cartoons. I really enjoyed discussing comics (a longtime passion of mine) with this true professional...who was as nice and normal as can be.

Dear God, how many years?... JC @ NRM, Oct. 2015
I had the chance to share my love of the movies this year as well, as the Museum took me up on the idea to go "back in time" during our classic car show. Where else would I have the opportunity to run around dressed as Marty McFly, while sharing my love of Back To The Future? I would have never guessed, 15 years ago, that I would end up overseeing such an event, but here I was welcoming filmmakers and car owners connected with my favorite film series of all time, and having an absolute blast. Like the films, it is all in the details... and Rockwell's work seems to echo through that first movie, set in the 1950s- an enthusiastically-received and attended event, to be sure.

Interactive experience at NRM (and I'm not talking
about any of my digital material featured in this display)
I can't say it has always felt "Rockwellian" this past year, and there were times where I have felt a bit down (usually due to politics, and the shifting balance of creating and facilitating). On one such occasion this past month, I decided to head down to the Museum and try to take some photos. I ended up chatting with some visitors who were using one of our new interactives, and had the chance to entertain them with some stories about the Museum, Rockwell, and the many models and characters related to this world that I had gotten to know over the past decade. Their laughter and enthusiasm really changed my day, and reminded me of the reason we are working here... to share this artist's work with current and future generations. On my way out, I heard someone yell, "hey Marty!" and it turned out to be a couple who had attended our Back To The Future day, enjoyed my talks and screenings, and ended up being one of the last visitors to leave that day. I think I need to visit the front lines more often.

Peace on earth. I can't think of a better
holiday greeting...
Finally, as someone active and interested in peace action efforts, I must mention our exhibition at the United Nations, which was such a tremendous opportunity for all involved. I know I speak for the Museum when I say how honored we were to share Rockwell's work with the over 65,000 visitors, global leaders and representatives (including Pope Francis), who visited the show over the summer and early fall. Representing the Museum, coordinating the press conference at the UN, and attending the opening reception with my wife were real highlights; my counterpart at the UN was wonderful to work with, and Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and Deputy Secretary-General Jan Eliasson were both extremely supportive of the exhibition. But the biggest thrill was learning that it was my online video of Rockwell's United Nations drawing that caught the attention of UN representatives in the first place, and inspired the show (which included the video). How do you top that for outreach?

Quite a year. My 15th anniversary, in fact. It's been a long and challenging road, but I know I have made a difference at this museum, and even managed to share my own artistic talents along the way.

Related Link:


No comments:

Post a Comment