Friday, November 4, 2016

Shell-Shocked!

A couple months ago, Springfield Museums hired me to create a commercial for its upcoming exhibition Turtle Power! Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles & Samurai Heroes, which will feature original TMNT art, as well as samurai swords, armor, and Japanese prints from its collection. Of course I yelled "cowabunga!" at the opportunity. 


Although I went to college in Hartford and have been working in Western Massachusetts over the last decade, I had never been to this fellow cultural organization, referred to as the "Quadrangle" for its assortment of museums in one central location (a new museum dedicated to Dr. Seuss, originally from Springfield, MA, will be opening in the new year). In late September I had a quick tour of the George Walter Vincent Smith Art Museum, which is where Turtle Power! will be exhibited. A successful 19th century businessman (carriage manufacturing), Smith had quite the collection of European, American and Far Eastern objects — the oriental arms and armor are impressive, and will make up a good part of this new exhibit.

Turtle teammate Steve Lavigne
at Albany Comic Con, Oct. 2016.
Photo: Jeremy Clowe
As for the Ninja Turtles, I admit: I'm old enough to remember them as an edgy black and white comic book during late high school/early college. Shortly afterwards, they mightily morphed into the Turtle Power rangers that became a sensation in their own animated TV series, and toy stores (I had a suction-cupped Turtle on my car/apartment window during college). I wouldn't say I followed the franchise too carefully... in fact, I only just watched the 1990 movie (directed by Steve Barron of A-ha videos fame, with puppetry by Jim Henson). Like a good slice of pizza, I understand the Turtles' appeal. 

While working on the trailer, I also decided to watch Turtle Power: The Definitive History of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, a documentary that came out a few years ago. It was interesting to hear how this modest late-night creation by two comic book artists, then based in the Springfield area, exploded into such a global, merchandised phenomenon (in the UK they were known as the Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles, due to a ban on ninjas in the media of that part of the world). The doc also provided several interesting interviews detailing the Turtles' history, including illustrator Steve Lavigne, who was part of the early creative team.

So, imagine my surprise when I attended the Albany Comic Con last weekend, and Lavigne happened to be there! I spent a good amount of time speaking with him, and learning more about their creation (there actually used to be a TMNT museum/gallery in nearby Northampton). Peter Laird, who developed the characters with fellow artist Kevin Eastman, apparently still lives in Western Massachusetts as well. Maybe I'll run into them again during the run of the exhibition.

Turtle Power! Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles & Samurai Heroes opens November 8 at Springfield Museums, and my commercial will start airing on TV stations in Massachusetts starting next week. Totally tubular, dudes!

No comments:

Post a Comment