Monday, November 7, 2016

Starman

I am the DJ, I am what I play...
I should have known back in January that this would be a rough year. Let's keep good thoughts — if you need a little musical inspiration, tune into my tribute to the late, great David Bowie tonight at 11 p.m. ET on 97.7. WEXT's MyExit

I've been wanting to do this ever since the news of Bowie's passing, and finally got around to recording the other week with the great KTG. If you have listened to one of my (or others) MyExit shows, you know they let you play an hour of your favorite music...so obviously, this was a daunting task when it comes to a musician with the body of work like David Bowie. I'm happy with the way it turned out though... and only just learned that it would be played tonight, election eve (cue "I'm afraid of Americans"). If you miss it, it should be replayed on Saturday, November 12, at 11 a.m. 

Speaking of Bowie, this past weekend I visited family in my hometown, and had a chance to meet up with a local filmmaker who is working on a documentary about the artist's arrest in Rochester back in 1976. You have probably seen the infamous mugshot that was "discovered" several years ago. It's a haunting image, and I enjoyed hearing about all of the threads that the filmmaker has discovered about this story (I believe the only time Bowie was arrested - for pot). Perhaps it explains why he never returned to the Flower City... I had tickets to his 1987 Glass Spider tour that was supposed to take place in Rochester in September of that year, but it was mysteriously canceled (we all thought it was because U2 was coming to town the next month in support of the breakthrough, The Joshua Tree... which I did see!). In any event, Bowie's legacy lives on... I hope I'll be able to assist with the documentary in some way  I'll be sure to keep you posted.


Afraid of Americans (or maybe just Rochesterians), 1976
Hopeful lyric for tonight/tomorrow. Inspired by LA riots (which I survived):

"We reach out over race and hold each other's hands
Then die in the flames singing 'we shall overcome'
Whoa! What's going on?
There'll be some blood no doubt about it
But we'll come thru don't doubt it" - "Black Tie, White Noise" (1992)

No comments:

Post a Comment