Thursday, August 1, 2013

Spokesmanship


"Hey girl..." doing my best Ryan Gosling
to impress you. Photo by Ben Garver
for The Berkshire Eagle. All rights reserved.
Ok, it must be pretty evident by now that in addition to writing/video producing, one of my main duties at Norman Rockwell Museum is spokespersoning (Not a word? Should be). Honestly, it's something like performing... and storytelling. I am proud of what I have accomplished in this regard over the past decade, and today comes my second appearance in The Wall Street Journal. 

Norman Rockwell Museum is included in a feature about historic sites/museums utilizing new media/technology to attract new audiences; I was interviewed at length last week about our digital initiatives, and they use a quote in today's paper about our new exhibition, Norman Rockwell: Happily Ever AfterThis new experiment involves visitors using their smartphones or tablets to access content available through QR codes placed near the paintings. In addition to Rockwell's reference photos, the model videos mentioned in the article were created by me—some are quite old... recorded not long after I started at the Museum in 2001. As you may know, I have been involved with other technological initiatives during my time at the Museum, including exhibition videos, an interactive timeline and Google Art Project, but this is the first effort involving gallery material accessible by portable devices. Anyway, it's a cool idea... we'll see how it pans out. It's also interesting to read about the technological efforts and concerns from other venues listed in the article. On top of that, they use one of my photos on the newspaper's front page (reproduced here)!

Photo by Jeremy Clowe for Norman Rockwell Museum. All rights reserved.
Of course I wish I had more time to create videos, but there is something rewarding about acting as a spokesperson... makes all those public speaking classes pay off. It's also interesting to see how often I am misquoted or my name is misspelled/mispronounced (eh, that's "Clowe," rhymes with "the show")... you have to let it roll off your back, I guess... ultimately, it is all about promoting the venue and work. 

On that note, here is another interview I gave to The Berkshire Eagle a few weeks back for an article about low-cost opportunities at the area's cultural organizations. Perhaps the best quote in the article comes from my wife's cousin Vicki, who has been a long-time member of the Museum (I actually met her years before meeting Sarah!): "I've been to other museums in different states and countries, and a lot of them are stuffy. The Norman Rockwell Museum isn't like that -- everyone is friendly. They take a personal interest in you." 

Well-said.

Grab a chair! Representing the Museum and Norman Rockwell in the
artist's studio. Photo by Ben Garver for 
The Berkshire Eagle.
All rights reserved.

Related Links:

"Historic Sites Welcome Kids Who Love to Text," The Wall Street Journal, August 1, 2013





No comments:

Post a Comment