Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Pushing The Envelope

It's all about the chemistry... Courtesy AMC.
Speaking of award ceremonies, I caught a very quick glimpse of the Emmys last night. Despite the irony of other TV award shows being nominated, they are right when they call this a "golden age" of television... "slow-burning, deeply satisfying pleasures" as The Atlantic put it. I too find myself more satisfied with what is being produced on the small over big screen lately (with the exception of Richard Linklater's new film, Boyhood, which was great for similar reasons). 

Today I learned that Breaking Bad won big at last night's ceremony... and rightfully so. The series, writers, lead actor (Bryan Cranston), supporting actress (Anna Gunn), and supporting actor (Aaron Paul) certainly deserved one last bow, following their brilliant run. Also deserving, The Colbert Report for Variety Series (I cross my fingers that the host will be as good when he makes the move to The Late Show). While I wait for the final season of the consistently captivating Mad Men, I hear there are plenty of other good shows to binge on... but I'm not sure I will ever see anything as thoroughly well-produced as Breaking Bad again. Here's hoping.

Related Link:


"Emmys 2014 Winners List," Indiewire, August 25, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment