Sunday, October 25, 2015

Fine-Tooning

Roz Chast details the fine art of blogging...
Courtesy: Roz Chast. All rights reserved.
The busy fall foliage season is winding down at Norman Rockwell Museum, and we celebrated in grand style yesterday with our "Back in Time" family cruise-in, featuring a classic car show and tribute to the 30th anniversary of Back To The Future. I was responsible for the latter, and couldn't be more pleased with how the event came together...it was one of the best days I have had in some time. I'll talk more about this, the other unique event I experience last Wednesday ("Future Day"), and provide a more thorough post about my all-time favorite movie, in the days to come.


For now, we bid farewell to Roz Chast: Cartoon Memoirs, which closes tomorrow, October 26. It has been a lot of fun working on this exhibition—not only creating the video (which one of my co-workers rather sincerely and kindly called, "a work of art in itself"), but spending some time with the artist herself. I had, once again, the unique opportunity to get to know a successful and influential artist, working in a medium I am passionate about. 

Last August I spent the afternoon with the cartoonist, driving her to New Haven, CT, for a special radio interview I arranged for her with my friends at WNPR Radio. Roz is not a big fan of driving, so I acted as her chauffeur for the day; I also appeared as a guest during a portion the segment, which you can listen to here

Keep Calm... and Mind The Cartoonist!
With Roz Chast and WNPR's Colin McEnroe.
Courtesy: Lydia Brown/WNPR
That late summer radio interview went well, gave us some great publicity for the exhibition, and I totally enjoyed Roz's company for the day; what I did not anticipate was feeling like I was in one of her cartoons! 

Before arriving at Roz's home/studio in southwestern Connecticut, I inadvertently drowned my smartphone (don't ask). Previously running ahead of schedule, I now found myself frantically trying to mop up the thoroughly drenched device...as the minutes began ticking. Trying my best to look upbeat, I finally arrived at the artist's home, and we hightailed it to New Haven. 

But the fun didn't stop there... suddenly we found ourselves stuck in mid-afternoon traffic, and the grey clouds started to form over my head, as I crossed my fingers that we would make it in time for the live interview. It worked out, with moments to spare, as we dashed from the nearby parking garage into the nearby studio, and proceeded with the interview. All went well and we caught an enjoyable lunch together, but when we returned to my car, I couldn't figure out how to get out of the garage...the gate was not accepting my credit cards, and there was no attendant in sight! We eventually tracked one down and got out of the "prison cell," and made our way back to Ridgefield. 

Not so fast, mister... after a few miles, we realized that my GPS was taking us in a completely wrong direction, and pulled over to attempt to reroute ourselves. At this point in the day, I wondered if I might find myself pictured in one of her quirky, New Yorker cartoons in the weeks to come... it was so neurotic... and totally me, not Roz (who was understanding, good-spirited, and funny as always). It reminded me of a question I had asked her last winter during our interview for the exhibition video. Here is an edited clip, where you hear me ask her about people recognizing themselves in her work:



Don't get me wrong... I was honored to spend the day with the artist, and we spent most of the afternoon talking about cartoons and comic art, which was my first real artistic passion and what I saw myself doing as a career in later years. What a wonderful opportunity and insight...it made me want to pick up a pencil and paper, and get cartooning again myself.

Related Links:



"Getting Graphic With Roz Chast," The Colin McEnroe Show, WNPR, August 19, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment