Wednesday, October 21, 2015

The Future Is Now!

Greetings from the future!
DeLorean/hoverboard courtesy: Jeff Rothenberg
On this date at precisely 4:29 p.m., time travelers Dr. Emmett Brown and Marty McFly will descend on Hill Valley, California, from the year 1985...making movie history! Let's all give them a warm welcome, shall we?

And how! This month, media and fans have been talking up a storm about the 30th anniversary of Back To The Future and the arrival of Future Day (October 21, 2015, as depicted in the second film from 1989). I couldn't be more happier... as a fantasy film geek, it's fun to see how many things from the future did or did not pan out (how about those hoverboards?!?)

Back To The Future has to be my all-time favorite movie, and the combination of the first and second films (and their clever storytelling, performances, and effects) is really what inspired my idea to pursue filmmaking (for better or worse). In any event, I've been looking for the opportunity to celebrate the occasion, and this weekend it will become reality, as Norman Rockwell Museum will be presenting a "Back in Time" family festival, assembled in "heavy" amounts by your's truly.

This Wednesday at 8 a.m. ET, you can hear me and my colleague Rich Bradway on Pittsfield, MA radio station, Star 101.7, describing how this unique event came together. Rich, our new Director of Digital Learning + Engagement, has experience with and came up with the idea for a classic car show, and I proposed enhancing it with a celebration of all things BTTF in time for the anniversary. Yes, we will have a DeLorean on display!

In addition, I managed to line up a real, honest to goodness, flying automobile that appeared in the second movie. I contacted car owner, Jeff Chabotte, from Connecticut, after seeing this great video about how he restored the character Griff's Hover BMW:


The car is actually up for auction during the huge "We're Going Back" celebration, being held on the same day as our event in Los Angeles, California. Disclosure: it doesn't really fly (and actually needs a lift getting here), so this may be your first and last chance to see the car. Pretty exciting. 

Designs on the future:
Robert U. Taylor shows me examples
of his production design for "Back To The
Future: The Ride." Photo: JC
Another connection I made is with local filmmakers who worked on the acclaimed "Back To The Future: The Ride" for Universal Studios. I had heard that film visionary Doug Trumbull (2010, Blade Runner) had put this ride film together with a crew from the Berkshires, where he is based, but I did not know until last week that the film was literally created down the road from the Museum, in one of the old paper mills. I have lined up the ride film's production assistant, Robert U. Taylor, and model maker, Dai Ban, and they will join us on Saturday as well, to talk about their experience bringing the movie series to life. They lent some great illustrations, photos, and video, that we will  be sharing.

This afternoon I also received a rare, signed print from movie poster artist, Drew Struzan, who created the iconic posters for all three movies. This was very exciting (and generous on his part), and I expect that it will be a highlight among a small display of objects (I have quite a few that I have collected over the years, including issues of the old Back To The Future fan club, which was active during the release of the second and third movies).

Great Scott, I almost forgot to mention: we will be screening the new documentary, Back in Time, which looks at the cultural impact of the film trilogy. I have previewed the film, and it's very well-done, including interviews with fellow fans, screenwriter Bob Gale, director Robert Zemeckis, executive producer/Norman Rockwell Museum trustee Steven Spielberg, and members of the cast, including Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd... "heavy" indeed! 

Well... it's all about time, and I'm running out of it, but I will share more soon... "the future" has yet to be truly written!


Related Links:


Time is on our side! Photo: Universal Pictures
"Back To The Future" official site




"Back in Time" documentary site


No comments:

Post a Comment