Sunday, October 11, 2015

People Person

This past month marks my fifteenth year at Norman Rockwell Museum. Originally starting as a docent, giving talks about the Norman Rockwell's life and career, I now serve as one of the Museum's chief spokespeople in my role as manager of media services. Time flies, and I can't believe how much I now know of the artist and the field of illustration.

So, as I'm often asked, what's new at the Museum? Well, our exhibition, We The Peoples: Norman Rockwell's United Nations was a big success at the United Nations Headquarters. I am particularly proud that this exhibition came out, since it is my video about Rockwell's 1953 United Nations drawing that caught the eye of the peacekeeping organization, and inspired the show to mark its 70th anniversary. Nearly 70,000 people, including important delegates, are estimated to have viewed the exhibition (which included my video) during its run.

Celebrating the "Golden Rule": Pope Francis and
United Nations Secretary-General, Ban Ki-moon share a
Norman Rockwell moment at the UN.
Photo courtesy: Samir Afridi/UN
Although the exhibition officially ended on September 15, the Museum continued to loan Rockwell's drawing and Golden Rule painting, in order for the UN to share the works with visiting dignitaries. High on that list was Pope Francis, who stopped by the UN this past month during his first visit to the United States. Alerted by my UN counterpart to his planned visit earlier in the week, I was charmed when he finally sent us photos of the pontiff admiring this beautiful painting from our collection. Just the day before the Pope referenced the concept of "the golden rule" during his historic address to Congress (I like the guy!), so it seemed a fitting backdrop. Days later, President Obama was introduced to the United Nations drawing during his visit, and apparently was impressed (remarking that he would like a copy). All in all, a great way to cap off this historic opportunity for the Museum; I felt honored to have played a part.

Fearless: with Rockwell model, Marjorie Coulter, "Freedom From Fear."
Courtesy: Norman Rockwell Museum.
The concept of "we the peoples" works so perfectly with Norman Rockwell's work, as he seemed to capture the hopes and aspirations of the general public from the twentieth century to this day. Since my earliest days at the Museum, I have taken it upon myself to document the stories of those people who worked with the artist. People were the focus of Rockwell's work, and so his models played an important role. As I told the website BerkshireStyle, "he made all the models very at ease, even the young children. He was a very personable individual and was able to get the expressions he wanted."

Over the years I have captured nearly 100 videotaped interviews with Rockwell models, that now serve as an important document for the Museum's archives. I have heard many stories over the years, yet still can be surprised...as I was back in 2009 when a woman named Marjorie Coulter visited and informed us that she was one of the young children in Rockwell's Freedom From Fear, part of his iconic Four Freedoms series:


Every first Friday of the month, the Museum holds a "Meet Rockwell's Models" program, where visitors have the opportunity to meet the figures presented in his work. Marjorie joined us in September, and for October I invited a woman named Pauline Adams Grimes to share her memories.

Rewind: meeting Rockwell models, summer 2001.
Photo courtesy: Norman Rockwell Museum.
I had first met Pauline back in 2001 during a big Rockwell models reunion that we held at the Museum; that is when I started videotaping models' oral histories, yet only managed to film a few remarks of her remarks. Eight years later, I traveled out to Arlington, Vermont, with one of my colleagues to attend a model reunion being held in the town that Rockwell called home, before moving to Stockbridge, Massachusetts, and finally managed to sit down with Pauline and capture her story.

Pauline and her siblings were introduced to Norman Rockwell back in the early 1950s, by folk artist/neighbor Grandma Moses, who knew that Rockwell was looking for a multi-ethnic crowd to appear in a sketch he was working on about the United Nations. The family posed for several photos in Rockwell’s Arlington studio, and Pauline ended up pictured in the bottom right of the drawing. Although traveling to the UN’s headquarters to conduct research and photograph actual delegates to appear in the illustration, Rockwell eventually put the image aside (and revisited the concept for the painting Golden Rule in 1960, which featured Pauline's brother Paul). 

Rockwell model Pauline Adams Grimes
exploring NRM's archives, Oct. 2015.
Photo: Jeremy Clowe for Norman Rockwell
Museum. All rights reserved.
Prior to the opening of We The Peoples, I tried to contact Pauline to let her know about the exhibition. I wasn't sure if she ever received my phone or post card, until I finally heard back from her at the end of the summer; she was thrilled to learn about the show and the existence of the drawing, and ended up visiting the UN with her family to view the original illustration for the first time (and meeting the UN's Deputy Secretary-General); "It was beautiful," she later remarked. "More than I ever dreamed it would be."

This aspect of my job has been one of my favorites: seeing the joy that Rockwell's work creates for people, and being able to help facilitate that and even introduce to new audiences. The fall is our busiest season, and as I helped greet the dozens of tour buses that arrived daily to view the vibrant art and foliage, I couldn't help but remember my start giving gallery talks at the Museum over a decade ago. 

One of my newest tasks is being appointed editor-in-chief of our members' magazine (who says print is dead?), and so I continue to play an important role at the Museum, through my knowledge, creativity, and own passion for the arts. If only my father, an admirer of Rockwell's work and artist in his own right, could see me now.


Related Links:

"Norman Rockwell's Models" (interview), BerkshireStyle, September 2, 2015

"Model UN/NRM" (written by JC), September 2015, Norman Rockwell Museum website

"Honoring The Golden Rule" (written by JC/videos edited by JC), September 2015, Norman Rockwell Museum website

No comments:

Post a Comment