Sunday, February 24, 2013

The Final Chapter

Alex Ross, "Marvels #4" cover, 1994.
 Courtesy of the artist. SPIDER-MAN ™
& © 2013 Marvel and Subs.
Well, the day has finally arrived. It's the final hours for the exhibition, Heroes & Villains: The Comic Book Art of Alex Ross at Norman Rockwell Museum. Long-time comics fan that I am, you know I'll be sorry to see this one go. 

This past week was school vacation week, and I spent it buzzing around the Museum dressed as Spider-Man and meeting the public. I was joined by several other caped crusaders... really, what other job lets you run around in your "pajamas" all day? 

I have said it before, but there was something sweet about having the chance to dress up as Spidey and entertain the kids... it's all come full-circle for me. It definitely gave me a chance to ham it up... you can view some photos from the past week on the Museum's Facebook page.



I also think we succeeded in attracting a whole new audience to the Museum with this exhibition. A photographer stopped in mid-week and was raving about all the marketing we had been doing... he was particularly impressed by the movie trailer we had playing at the local theaters... he went on and on, saying how it was as good as any trailer you see at the movies... until I mentioned that I was the one who created it. Funny how people sometimes find it harder to directly compliment someone on their work... I'm sure Spidey could relate, eh?

Avengers Assemble! Photo by Jeremy Clowe. All rights reserved.
So... what now? Well, at the Museum we will be presenting an exhibition of the work of Hungarian-born illustrator Istvan Banyai--it's pretty interesting, expressive art, and seems like a good segue from Alex Ross' work (Banyai has also done graphic novel work, and it seems like a natural medium considering his style). As for me, well... I'm continuing with preparations for my play, and I have a couple other things in the works. So stay tuned true believer... you'll be sure to hear about it here... same Bat blog, same Bat channel!

Make Mine Marvel! Photo by Jeremy Clowe. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment