Monday, June 17, 2013

Dancing on Air

With Snow White model Marge Champion at the press 
conference for "Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs: 
The Creation of a Classic" at Norman Rockwell Museum, 
June 7, 2013. Photo ©Jeremy Clowe. All rights reserved.
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs: The Creation of a Classic is a hit! We had a successful opening last weekend, and our Enchanted Evening Gala was enjoyed by all who attended. I was asked to help out with an auction held during the event− as a performer, it made me conscious of how to speak effectively from the diaphragm, and in an engaging way in order to entice potential bidders. There is an art to this public speaking thing, for sure... but I did alright.

One person who seems to have mastered the skill is Marge Champion, the famed dancer/choreographer who also served as the live reference model for Walt Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. She was our guest of honor during our gala event, and also joined us for a well-attended press preview to talk about her experience working on the groundbreaking film. I was impressed by her energy and spark, and her words were often inspiring (hope I'm like this when I reach 93). During the gala, Sarah I and took the dance floor and so did Marge... I must admit, there was a part of me that wanted to impress the award-winning performer with my own dancing ability (here's a little video my co-worker filmed of us; you can also see Marge Champion waltzing away in the background).  

During my last post I mentioned my planned interview with the Berkshire program Well Talk Radio about the exhibition. I thought it turned out well... here is a link to the segment, where you can also hear portions of my April interview with Marge Champion. And... without further delay, here is a very quick clip I put together from that same interview... I hope to put a longer piece together when I can find the time... right?



Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs: The Creation of a Classic will be on view through October 27, 2013 at Norman Rockwell Museum.

Related Links:

"'Snow White' in the Press," Norman Rockwell Museum website

Enchanted Evening Gala photos (includes shots taken by your's truly), Norman Rockwell Museum Facebook page

No comments:

Post a Comment