Thursday, July 25, 2013

Sound of Sunshine


Wow. What a great week this has been for music. 

Take me out! Franz Ferdinand, live on Letterman. Photo by Jeremy Clowe. 
All rights reserved.
Thanks to all who tuned into our radio show this past Monday. Sarah and I were heading back from the Franz Ferdinand concert in New York City that evening, and were able to catch the live streaming of the show off our phone. I really think Sarah sounded great, and I enjoyed our banter and song selections. For those who missed it, WEXT will rebroadcast our My Exit show this Saturday, July 27, 8 a.m. ET. 

Franz Ferdinand shining light on the dark of the
matinee. Photo by Jeremy Clowe. All rights reserved.
Franz Ferdinand was fantastic. We queued up outside of the Ed Sullivan Theater an hour or so before showtime, and caught a glimpse of Paul Shaffer as he left the building following that evening's taping of The Late Show (no sign of Dave Letterman though). It really was interesting being inside of the historic theater, seeing the stage set in-person and realizing how small the venue actually is (I kept thinking that this was where the Beatles made their U.S. debut!) Franz Ferdinand ran through a rocking, energetic set... seriously, I was completely in my element, dancing in the aisles to the band's infectious blend of angular, artsy, indie rock. FF have been consistent songwriters over the years, and I loved hearing many favorites (especially The Dark of the Matinee!). Their new stuff sounds solid as well. 

After the show, which was streamed live on the Letterman website, we were able to meet the Scottish rockers... a real treat! The following day we relived the concert by watching the webcast, still dumbfounded by how small the studio is. You can catch the show here and, if you're look close enough, see me raise my arm in triumphant indie rocker glory.
JC with Alex Kapranos, lead singer of Franz Ferdinand.
Photo ©Jeremy Clowe. All rights reserved.
Last night we kept the live music theme going by checking out roots rocker JD McPherson  at The Ale House, a very small pub in nearby Troy, New York. I only found out last week about this last-minute show, and I was elated! I have been waiting for McPherson to play in the area... hell... even the East Coast, since I first heard his music a year ago (his album Signs & Signifiers was high on my list of favorite albums for 2012). 

JD McPherson and band rocking out The Ale House, Troy, NY,
July 2013. Photo by Jeremy Clowe. ©Jeremy Clowe. All rights reserved.
This show really was intimate... it felt like we were in the band's living room! The brick and mortar design of the pub lent a real throwback atmosphere to the gig. Rockabilly at its finest, and McPherson did not disappoint! I mentioned before how, as a performer myself, I am a little intimidated by his vocals... he brings such raw energy and conviction. Real soul. The music has a similar quality... in fact, we met the band after the gig and spoke with them at good length about how they deliberately sought out vintage equipment and recording methods (analogue vs. digital) to get the right groove for their first album. It was a truly memorable evening... a raw, feel-good vibe... the crowd loved the band, and they seemed to feed off of that energy. Sarah said she had a smile on her face the entire evening, and for me it was just a dream to see them in such a venue... Before last week, I had been tempted to drive out again to the Newport Folk Festival, where they are playing this Friday, but they finally came to our backyard. A special evening... I hope they will return soon.

Mr. and Mrs. C with JD. Photo ©Jeremy Clowe. All rights reserved.
This weekend we are heading back to my hometown to visit friends and family. Really looking forward to getting away... with music blaring from the car radio, of course.

Related Links:





No comments:

Post a Comment