Thursday, October 25, 2012

The Justice League

Superman is my co-pilot.
Work on the Alex Ross exhibit continues... I'm trying to finish my video transcription (ugh), and Sarah and I stopped by the great Earthworld Comics in Albany last night to pick up a 6' Superman stand-up (featuring art by Ross) that they have loaned us for the duration of the show. Oh hell, it was also a great excuse to stop by the store again and peruse their latest books. Sarah is a big fan of artist/creator Terry Moore (who I interviewed back in 2007), and has been sinking her teeth into his latest book, Rachel Rising--she actually read a few issues right there in the store while I was busy looking around... ha ha... she never ceases to amaze me. 

My co-workers and I have also been looking into costumes for the exhibit opening and upcoming programs. Of course I made it clear that I have dibs on Spidey... but it can't be just any old costume. I have a proud tradition, initiated by my mother's amazing web-slinger costume that she designed for me so many Halloweens ago. Sarah is looking into Supergirl (one of her old favorites). My co-worker Sarah (who, coincidentally, is married to another Jeremy) surprised us all at work yesterday when she came through the offices dressed like Wonder Woman. I think she did a good job of pulling it off (here's a photo I took, as proof).


Alex Ross, "Mythology: Wonder Woman,"
2005, courtesy of the artist, ™ & ©
DC Comics. Used with permission.
Wonder Woman has an interesting history, which I was not aware of until I read the text for the exhibition. Apparently she was created back in 1941 by psychologist William Moulton Marston, who also happened to develop the lie detector (I guess that explains his character's golden lasso!). Utilizing equal parts physical strength, intelligence and kindness, Wonder Woman was created to serve as a positive role model for girls, and wound up becoming a feminist icon (pictured on the first issue of Ms. magazine, and their recent 40th anniversary issue, with a cover by the great Mike Allred). Many of us fellas also fell in love with the character, especially after seeing the beautiful Lynda Carter on the 1970s TV show. But looks aside, I also appreciate the concept of a strong, female hero... it's no stretch... many of the most influential people in my life have been women, and I am forever grateful.




I just got back from an awards dinner that was held by the Albany chapter of Veterans for Peace. My mother-in-law, Elaine, was honored as one of this year's Thomas Paine Winter Soldier Peace and Justice Awards. Coined during the Revolutionary War era, a winter solider is "any man or woman who stands firm in the face of extreme adversity and works towards a peaceful and civil society, respecting the inalienable rights provided for in the Declaration of Independence, the U.S. Constitution and the U.N. Declaration of Human Rights." That's super-heroic, right?

Involved in peace efforts since the late 1960s, Elaine has joined anti-war groups, and is the coordinator for Schenectady Neighbors for Peace. She is also on the steering committee for Upper Hudson Peace Action; serves as the Secretary for Peace Action, New York State; and is active in J Street Albany Capital District. I appreciate her belief in the possibility of a more peaceful world... yes, this looks like a job for... us!



Photo by Jeremy Clowe. All rights reserved.


No comments:

Post a Comment