Thursday, September 20, 2012

Got Soul?

I am such a music nerd.... well, at least a pop/rock/soul music nerd. Tonight we watched the film Dreamgirls, which I had been meaning to see for some time now... did it really come out in 2006?!?

Anyway, for some reason I had been getting the Supremes in my head recently. The same thing happened with The Temptations about ten years ago, and they have since become one of my favorite bands. Dreamgirls is most definitely based, if loosely, on the story of the all-girl Motown group. Beyonce plays Deena (basically Diana Ross), who steals the thunder from Effie played by Jennifer Hudson (basically original Supremes member Florence Ballard). The tension being that Effie is a better singer, but Deena looks more glamorous... I think this is basically what happened with the real Supremes... although I just had a listen to some early Supremes with Ballard singing lead ("I Want a Guy," "Buttered Popcorn"), and it's not that great to be honest (especially the latter).

I think what made Motown so great, besides some top writers and select vocal talent, was the Funk Brothers--the jazz schooled backing band. They were so tight... listen to this great Supremes track, "Love Is Like An Itching in My Heart":



The music in Dreamgirls really doesn't come close to that soulful sound... probably because it was originally a Broadway music. I didn't expect much, so I wasn't that disappointed... no, it was just fun trying to figure out the various soul music references, and Jennifer Hudson really gave a strong performance. But to me, the actor who stole the show was Eddie Murphy, playing James "Thunder" Early--he was absolutely entertaining, and I wondered... was this Little Richard + James Brown + Marvin Gaye? The way he toned his act down to appeal to a white audience... hmm. Actually, I think that is why the Supremes made it as big as they did. I have taken a look on YouTube at some of their TV appearances, and it's a little painful. 

At the same time, there was Aretha Franklin, using a little more of that gospel sound. Stax was the label that she recorded with, and that also is where Otis Redding did his thing. Stax is a little looser than Motown... the latter may have had the hits, but I guess you could say Stax had more soul (and horns!). But man... those Funk Brothers... and singers like David Ruffin and Marvin Gaye... that is the goods. I felt a little chill when I visited Histville, the Detroit headquarters of Motown, back in 2004 to record a documentary. There was some magic being made in those walls.

So back to the movie... I enjoyed it. The filmmakers obviously were passionate about the story of soul and the great changes in the cultural climate during the 1960s/1970s. I guess you need to stay faithful to the music of the film, and it wasn't all bad... but I guess the film was just shy of being "perfect." I think most of the actors here also can sing, so that helps. 

What is it about classic soul for me? I think I have written about it over and over again here... the honesty... vulnerability... bravery... when I sing, that's what I want to do. Just direct... opening yourself up to it. I keep trying to analyze what made these old civil rights era tunes, in particular, so great. They didn't call it "classic soul" for nothing.



P.S.- If anyone sees a copy of this book, Soul for One, in English, please let me know. It's a beautiful book I found in Quebec during our honeymoon... I was so tempted to buy it, but I don't know much French, and it was a little expensive... eh, thanks level-headed wife (I'm sure I'll still get it).

No comments:

Post a Comment