Sunday, September 30, 2012

Myth Opportunities

I spent most of today doing research for the Museum's upcoming exhibition, Heroes & Villains: The Comic Book Art of Alex Ross. I know... I know... after yesterday's post about adolescent obsessions, spending the day looking at comic books might seem a little regressive. Hey, it's for work... and it's a hell of a lot more fun than following the news (Meet The Press devoted a whole hour to what the presidential candidates need to do to win the debates... of course each party had their "non-biased" opinions). 

Photo opp with the artist (no, they didn't have to handcuff this
reformed superhero fan... I'm not sure why I posed like that!).

I actually came across some old photos I had taken from the Ross exhibition that was held at Illustration House in New York City back in 2003. It was the first time I had seen the artist's original work, and it was a lot of fun... Ross was in attendance, along with graphic designer Chip Kidd, who has done some real groundbreaking work in the design field. I guess the exhibition served a dual purpose: to promote the release of the book Mythology: The DC Comics Art of Alex Ross, which Kidd designed. I hadn't actually looked at the book until this weekend, and it really is a wonderful way to get acquainted with the artist's work and see his deep respect for the history of super hero comics (even though I'm more of a Marvel fan).

That was fun heading out to New York to see that show... seeing the similarity in style to some of Norman Rockwell's work, I remember thinking how cool would it be to mount a show at my Museum. Well, through an indirect way, it is finally happening... the pre-teen fanboy in me has been awakened once again!

My "little brother" posing with Green Lantern artwork by Ross
(the green hair was just a coincidence).
Mythology designer Chip Kidd and photographer Geoff Spear.
Fellow comic book artist Sal Abbinanti also serves as Alex Ross' agent
(he was also the model for Captain Marvel: left).

Photos by Jeremy Clowe. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment