Monday, February 6, 2012

Bowled Over

Well, the dust has settled... and The New York Giants emerge victorious once again over the New England Patriots! I have to say, this was one of the more interesting Super Bowl games... with an intense fourth quarter (Sarah still preferred The Puppy Bowl).

This year it's the game that sticks in my head, and not the commercials. It has gotten to be kind of silly the way advertisers try to outdo themselves. They have gone so far as to hype the commercials before they even run.

One of this year's "big" spots was supposed to be an updated Ferris Bueller for Honda (my current ride.. it's "so choice"). Now, that movie is one of my all-time favorites and has definitely withstood the test of time (seriously, watch it again on your... day off), but the new ad seemed a little off. Clever, but not as funny as the timeless 80s classic (maybe it was sobering to see that even Mr. Bueller has aged).

Most of the other ads trotted out the usual fare: talking babies, CGI animals, Go Daddy babes, Jay Leno...  But there were a couple ads that did get creative marks in my playbook... drum roll please...



Budweiser ran an ad earlier that evening that was sort of a mini-movie about how prohibition denied people from their beer. The cinematography and scoring were great but... yeah, it's just Budweiser. Then this ad ran during one of the next breaks, and it gave me a little, eh, buzz! Sort of a music video remix of the earlier ad, showing young people enjoying Bud through the ages-- 50s, 60s, Studio 54, breakdancing, Seattle grunge... fun, and definitely helped by this cool mash-up of the Cult classic "She Sells Sanctuary" and Flo Rida-- good feeling, indeed (got me more excited than Madonna's halftime, that's for sure).



So Bud is selling sanctuary and Fiat is selling... uh, yeah. But I think it's a rather clever ad-- funny, sexy... with sharp filming, music and performances. Hey, guys are always going to appreciate good-looking women and cars (not to mention perfectly frothed lattes).



One of the few ads that had me laughing... I must admit. Apparently it has "touched" off some controversy because people say the new technology is actually old-- a stylus pen. But it looks like you are able to draw on your phone, which I think is different from what the stylus was for...? Who cares, this ad had The Darkness in it-- I loved this song! Hey, it did the trick in making me feel like Samsung phones might be a cool brand... although I'm not ready to turn over my Motorola Droid just yet.

That's about it. Not a great year for ads, but I did learn that GE is responsible for... beer (oh come on, at least Schenectady got a little attention).

No comments:

Post a Comment