Thursday, February 2, 2012

(Not the) same old same old

It looks like Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow today... meaning six more weeks of winter for us. Well, if the weather continues the way it has been (reaching the upper 40s/low 50s this past week), I think I can handle it. A little change from the typical winters we find here in the Northeast.

This day always reminds me of how much I love this movie:



It's Bill Murray at his finest (if you don't count his later, more "artsy films" like Lost in Translation). Groundhog Day has a hilarious script and concept-- I have always been a sucker for these films that look at manipulating time and events (don't ask me how many times I have seen Back To The Future since high school). 

You do start to think more and more about the quality of time as you get older. There are general routines that are quite healthy (i.e. working out, eating right, blogging-- heh, heh), but I once worked with a guy who would literally do the exact same thing every day, including snacking on the same foods at the exact same time-- "bing!" (I kept expecting to hear Sonny and Cher's "I Got You Babe" on the radio). I try to avoid predictable routines if I can help it-- seems to be the antithesis of what being creative is all about.


So far 2012 has been off to a very promising start-- I have made some great connections, and started some promising new endeavors-- by keeping these channels open, it has lead to some interesting things. And, of course, there's the entirely new concept of getting married this year that is keeping me on my toes. In fact, 2012 could prove to be my most unpredictable year yet-- so bring it on... I'll even deal with the snow (if it ever arrives)!

P.S.- I heard a story today on NPR about how the town of Woodstock, Illinois, is literally stuck in the movie Groundhog Day. Every year the town will go back and recreate/remember the movie, which was filmed there in the early 90s. That's the magic of movies, I guess.


No comments:

Post a Comment