Thursday, February 9, 2012

Living By Design

Things I Have Learned In My Life So Far,
Stefan Sagmeister, ©2008 Stefan Sagmeister. All rights reserved.
Graphic design class went well last night. I presented my research on Tibor Kalman (see previous post), and learned about several other important designers from my classmates.

One of those graphic designers, Stefan Sagmeister, looked incredibly interesting. Sagmeister also worked at Kalman's M&Co., and seems to share that designer's propensity towards making each piece an immersive experience. I'm not sure I would take it quite as far as he did for his 1999 AIGA lecture poster though, where he carved words into his skin with an X-Acto knife to visualize the pain involved in his creative process-- wow. I appreciate the sense of emotional response in his work though (like with Kalman). Definitely worth investigating further. 


The presentation of Sagmeister's website is pretty unique too- the homepage features a live webcam of his office space, with links activated by "buttons" that are actually painted on his studio floor! 


Reminds me that I still need to figure out a proper website to showcase my own work. Ah, to work so creatively... 

No comments:

Post a Comment