Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Undesign? You Got It, You Got It.

I have been busy researching the work of graphic designer Tibor Kalman (1949–1999), to present to my class tomorrow. The irony is that he was known for rejecting many of the conventions of graphic design, preferring a "vernacular approach" (i.e. plain, everyday, ordinary). He was a bit of a provocateur, who used his designs to make some pretty bold statements on a number of social issues.

Obviously I like the idea of design for the greater good, but I'm not sure what I think of his work overall. As I finalize the research for my presentation, I'm posting a clip he worked on for The Talking Heads, a band whose music I enjoy and whom Kalman created album covers for in the early 80s. This video is so-so, maybe a little dated... but you get an idea of some of the designer's style in using type in unconventional ways ("the way things fall apart"), as well as some of his social messaging (goes by way too fast though). I think some of the optical uses of type are more successful here than the early digital: specifically, where the lyrics are projected on to David Byrne's face, and the section where the singer sways with the "fields and trees."



I'll have more thoughts on Kalman's work later. In the meantime, I had no idea The Smiths' guitarist Johnny Marr played on this song-- talk about "type" casting!

No comments:

Post a Comment