Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Good Sport

Hot on the heels of Dr. Ruth, we had a visit from another highly regarded broadcaster today--sports writer/commentator Frank Deford. The event was being held by WFCR, the NPR affiliate in Amherst, Massachusetts, and Deford was their special guest speaker for the evening. 

Strictly a Sharpshooter! Frank Deford at Norman Rockwell Museum.
Photo ©Jeremy Clowe for Norman Rockwell Museum. All rights reserved.
Although I'm not a huge sports fan myself, I always enjoy listening to Deford's commentary that airs every Wednesday on NPR's Morning Edition. He has a great style in his delivery, and his segments frequently address the world of ethics in sports--something that is a true concern in this age of steroids and big moneyed sports franchises. 

Deford obviously has a love for the game--he joined Sports Illustrated back in 1962 (he's now their senior correspondent), serves as a regular correspondent for HBO's Real Sports with Bryant Gumbeland has read over 1500 segments on NPR. He recently released an autobiography of his life as a sportswriter, titled Over Time, which he was signing during the Museum event-- I picked up a copy, which he graciously signed for me (including some words of encouragement on my upcoming nuptials). 

Deford is a tall man--not quite what I pictured when I hear him on the radio (that's usually the case with radio personalities!). Yet he certainly has a grace about him, which also comes through in his radio announcing. We walked to the new Norman Rockwell Museum exhibition called Norman Rockwell: Sports, and I did my best to try and interest him in doing a feature on some of Rockwell's iconic sports imagery (I would love to hear his take on it). Like Rockwell, here is a guy who can really draw you in with his storytelling--there is an honest and pure gift there... at age 73, I'm sure he has seen a lot, and it is nice to have an elder commentator add his viewpoint to current sports discussions... frankly, I think it is sorely needed. As I have grown older I appreciate the value of sports--from health to dealing with adversity, to the idea of teamwork--I know that Deford also gets it--that this is (and should be) the heart of sports' appeal.

Nice to meet off the radio, and I wish his beloved Baltimore Orioles the best of luck this season.


Related Links:


www.frankdefordbook.com


www.npr.org/series/4499275/sweetness-and-light

sportsillustrated.cnn.com/writers/frank_deford/archive/index.html

1 comment:

  1. Now you can get all the information about Sarkari Results on our website Exam Results 2024 website. It is very easy to get all the information about government jobs on mysarkariresult.co.in portal. On this website you can get free information about latest jobs and Exam Results 2024.

    ReplyDelete