Thursday, July 5, 2012

Listen to the Doctor's Advice

Warning: Parental Discretion for the Parents Advised


Ugh. Little did I know two days ago that I would come down with a nasty little sinus bug... last night was particularly rough--my head was pounding uncontrollably... not much sleep, needless to say... I have felt pretty run down these past couple of days (maybe this past weekend caught up with me).


Dr. Ruth Westheimer discussing the facts of life
(and Rockwell's painting) at Norman Rockwell Museum.
Photo ©Norman Rockwell Museum. All rights reserved.
So I stayed put today... worked on some wedding stuff, which I had been meaning to find the time to do anyway. Unfortunately, I was hoping to help welcome a special guest visitor to my Museum today: Dr. Ruth Westheimer. The beloved sex counselor has been in the Berkshires this past week to catch the premiere of Dr. Ruth, All the Way, being presented at Barrington Stage Company. The play, written by Mark St. Germain, tells the remarkable true life story of the pioneering radio and television sex therapist--from fleeing the Nazis in the Kindertransport and joining the Haganah in Jerusalem as a scout and sniper, to her struggles to succeed as a single mother coming to America. The play has received good reviews, and my friend Frank, who works at Barrington Stage, says that it is a tough ticket to grab!


This past week Dr. Ruth has been making the rounds... from a post-show discussion with the writer and actress Debra Jo Rupp (who plays the diminutive therapist), a signing at the local Barnes & Noble, taking part in the annual Pittsfield Fourth of July parade, and making a visit to Norman Rockwell Museum today. Apparently she had a great time, and even offered an amusing talk in front of the study for Rockwell's 1951 painting, The Facts of Life. I wish I could have been there... I have long been a fan.


Back in late middle school to early high school, Dr. Ruth burst on to the scene, hosting the groundbreaking radio program, Sexually Speaking, where the therapist took calls and offered advice on sexuality. As a young teen battling with his hormones, it was pretty wild to learn about this program, which aired Sunday evenings on one of the local stations in my hometown of Rochester, NY. I remember making excuses to go to bed early, and then would pull out the tiny walkman that my father picked up in Japan, and listen in awe... now I know what you're thinking, but relax... there was nothing salacious about this program--Dr. Ruth talked about sexuality in a very frank, honest, and mature way. Sure, it was a little funny to hear her grandmotherly German accent pronounce the word "penis," or punctuate her conversations with a "terrrrific!" but what I really appreciated was her open manner in talking about things we only seemed to skim over in sex-ed class. I certainly learned a lot from her show, and found the whole approach to be quite healthy... I had to laugh when I learned that my sister also tuned in occasionally (in the same way) to the show! 


So, I guess I missed my chance to thank this deserved celebrity--one of the best radio broadcasters I have heard. I thought I might even dare to ask her for some last minute advice about my impending marriage! Well, It sounds like this sweet woman of 84 has plenty of energy, so perhaps I'll have another opportunity... that would be terrrrific!


Related Links:


http://drruth.com


barringtonstageco.org/events/64175/dr-ruth-all-the-way


"Audiences Can Now Analyze Dr. Ruth," The New York Times, June 21, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment