Thursday, March 1, 2012

Don't Stop Believin'

Well, yesterday was pretty strange after all. The last day of February, and we finally had our first winter storm (thankfully, no frogs). Also, news that Davy Jones of the Monkees has died.


Obsessed Beatles fan that I was, it was hard to resist the Monkees’ charms during their comeback in the 1980s. MTV started running marathons of their old TV show, and I remember me and my sister seriously getting hooked during a rather stressful time for our family (even saw them in concert a couple times). Great, silly stuff that definitely paved the way for music videos, and probably a few of my own improv skits. And the Monkees had some great songs too: "(I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone" sounds like it was punk ahead of it's time! I learned that they were criticized for not playing their own instruments at the beginning, but as a manufactured band, they sure made up for it with great session musicians, writers, and their energetic performances.





It’s hard to believe that Davy Jones could get old. The video of him doing his funny little dance to “Daydream Believer” makes you think that he might stay forever young simian. Again reminding me to live and enjoy life to the fullest... like a Monkee. Hey, hey!


                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
R.I.P. Davy!


Related Links:


"Davy Jones, Monkees Singer, Dies at 66," The New York Times, February 29, 2012
"The Monkees" Why I'm a Believer in Their Perfect Pop," The Guardian, March 1, 2012
The Legacy of the Monkees, Sound Opinions, February 18, 2011 

No comments:

Post a Comment