Sunday, April 1, 2012

Every Day You Get My Best

So I have some exciting news! This month I am starting a new job... back at the first job I ever had−yes, things are coming full-circle and I will again be working at Wegmans, the grocery store chain based in my hometown of Rochester, New York:



It's amazing... I still remember most of the codes for produce, and I'm looking forward to the open-air and exercise provided by the chance to push those shopping carts again. Details are still being worked out, but with stores now located in six different states, I am open to the idea of moving... or even heading back to Rochester, where my mom can feel free to use my Shopper's Club Card.

Ok, today's special is April foolishness (check the calendar). Even though I'm joking about my "new job," I do have fond memories of working for Wegmans. The truth is that it was my first job ever (at age 16): I worked as a part-time cashier, and it really was a great entry into the work world, offering an extra sense of structure to my day, exposure to a new group of people and friends, and a little spending cash. Beyond that, Wegmans stores are just wonderful-great selection, quality, prices, and overall shopping experience... you can usually tell when someone is from Rochester when they start raving about grocery stores−Wegmans has set a pretty high standard (think Whole Foods... but better).

Not lost in the supermarket...
these people shop happily!
Photo courtesy Wegmans. All rights reserved.
I was pleased to come across two news stories this past week about my hometown grocery store chain. First from The Boston Globe, reporting that company officials are looking to open a supermarket in Boston, and have begun scouting locations. Last winter, my friends in the Berkshires sent me a photo of the company's first Massachusetts store in Northborough, and I understand the excitement... any time I drive through another state and see a Wegmans store (last year in New Jersey, for instance), there is something that compels me to stop in and take a look... at least buy a cup of coffee. 

The second article was in The Atlantic, and was really interesting. Titled "The Anti-Walmart," the story talked about the secret of Wegmans' success: the fact that they place such a high value on their employees. From the article: "Our employees are our number one asset, period," said Kevin Stickles, the company's vice-president for human resources. Yet the company is profitable. Its prices are low. And it is lauded for exemplary customer service."When you think about employees first, the bottom line is better," Stickles argued. "We want our employees to extend the brand to our customers."

It seems like a no-brainer. I think it explains the great vibe that you feel when you enter the store... that hasn't changed since the time I worked there. When you feel that your company cares for each member of it's team, supporting their development by sending them around the world to learn about their products, or by offering scholarships or reimbursement for continuing education, how could that not have a positive effect on your wanting to work hard and do your very best for the company? According to the article: "(Wegmans) has half the turnover of its peers. In February, Fortune magazine declared it the fourth-best company to work for in America in 2012. In 2005, it was number one."

An apple a day... Wegmans making new friends.
Photo courtesy Wegmans. All rights reserved.
I'm happy for Wegmans' success, and that goes beyond the hometown connection. As a manager at my current job, I am very interested in learning about what works to motivate staff to do their very best, as well as ways to foster great relations with outside companies and the public. When I think back at places I have worked, Wegmans still stands out as one of the few places that understood this... it keeps both its customers and employees happy... the employees, in turn, also become customers, and do their own effective marketing for the company by word-of-mouth (or, in this modern-day, social networking). 

So yes, there appears to be an art to running a business... and I am fortunate to have learned some important tips from my very first job ever... no foolin'!

Related links:


    

No comments:

Post a Comment