Sunday, December 16, 2012

Innocence Lost

I had to take a quick trip back to Western New York today, in order to retrieve some furniture that has been waiting for our new home. I used most of the train ride back to catch up on the tragic story of last week's shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. It was unnerving to read the newspaper, and see the list of victims' names and their ages... some as young as six years old.

We met several kids during our holiday parties yesterday... their spirit and innocence is a joy to behold. I always enjoy trying to entertain and make them laugh, and they in turn definitely inspire me with their enthusiasm and untarnished view of the world.

But how does an adult reconcile the fact that so many young, innocent lives were lost 
last week? What does putting your faith in God mean when he would allow such evil to transpire? I have been questioning a lot this year... struggling to come up with meaning for the way certain events have transpired... we all have challenges, but what justifies something like this happening...?

I won't go any further here tonight into my thoughts on gun control or treatment for mental illness... instead, I prefer to share this NPR story I heard this morning, honoring the life of one of the beautiful children that was taken from us far too soon. At least reading through the article, I get the sense that she too made a difference, no matter how brief her time here was...

No comments:

Post a Comment