Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Media By Design

My SWAP colleague Darian Dauchan passed along this flyer today for The Spoken Word Almanac Project year in review performance. This year's show will once again by held at the Nuyorican Poets Cafe in New York City, on December 14, 15, and 16, starting at 7 p.m. SWAP is an annual poetry and media extravaganza recapping the news events of the year through the various perspectives of a diverse group of performance poets. I have been working with the group since 2010 as their Media Designer, although this year I have had to scale back on my contributions due to my wedding, moving, and assorted busyness. Nevertheless, I hope to make it out to one of next week's performances... the project is a unique mix of performance and multimedia that I have been happy to be a part of.

The other day I got into a discussion with a couple local artists about the topics of media literacy and the changing dynamic of social interactions, especially among young people. Dare I say, I have started to feel old (make that "older") as I witness the way teens and pre-teens' lives are being shaped by changing technology. There is a definite shift in the way this younger generation socializes... or doesn't socialize. Maybe you've been there... pulling up to the tool booth and finding the attendant with his feet kicked up, texting away, and then realizing he needs to wait on you (begrudgingly)... or failing to find much enthusiasm from students or interns, whose sense of entitlement might be the result of getting everything too easy... Maybe I'm just venting, but there are times that I shake my head, and realize that things are changing at a rapid pace... faster than we may have ever experienced before.

Even before the current explosion of online social networking and smartphones, there has also been a need for media literacy. I studied this subject a bit in my communications courses in college, and its importance was reinforced by the time I started working in TV news in the mid 90s. Anyone who followed this past election could probably sense the very partisan style of reporting that was prominent... and we're not just talking MSNBC and Fox News here. Sound bytes have been overtaking real content in news for some time now, and corporations have wielded an unhealthy influence... Thankfully, there are some outlets that I trust (although even The New York Times has fallen under some criticism in recent years). 

Beyond news, there are the entertainment programs... even though I consider myself pretty liberal and open-minded, the content in some shows airing in so-called "family TV" hours has me shocked! Movies, on the other hand, just get depressing... I had a conversation with a friend last week about some of the crass material that has become commonplace in children's films (even Disney has fallen victim!). 

I know that my head often feels like it will explode from all the information that is coming my way... change is inevitable, but how to digest all this properly... and guide a younger generation?


Hmmm... that's a lot to think about in a simple blog post. Tying it back to SWAP, I have taken great strides to create visuals for the poets' work that avoid a distortion of the facts or appearing too pointed... I like to think I'm an open-minded guy, and even though most of the performers and myself are of the liberal persuasion, I would rather chose imagery that poses questions rather than supposed answers...

I look forward to further study of the media. And the kids... yeah, they're alright... but I'll keep an eye out for them too, all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment