Sunday, December 9, 2012

Break On Through To The Other Side...

Spent the day trying to finalize the script for the tribute show I am finally recording for WEXT, that looks at the career of Norwegian rock band A-ha. I have to say, it's been one of the more difficult projects I have attempted to work on since it was initially pitched to me in 2010... because I'm such a big fan of their music, there's so much I could say... but I need to figure out how to edit it all down to two, digestible one hour segments for broadcast. Hmm... I guess I should take a cue from this blog, where in the past year I have attempted to do the same kind of streamlined storytelling.

Music is the most important thing, and luckily I have that more or less fleshed out... with selections spanning from the band's 1985 breakthrough to final recordings in 2010. Here is one of my favorites, "Dark Is The Night"−a very U2-esque song from 1993 (I also included it in the "My Exit" program I recorded earlier this year):





Believe it or not... for a band known for their groundbreaking videos, this one was actually banned by MTV America when it was released (guess the guy on stilts was deemed too "disturbing"). I love it myself... the dark tone is sublime, and both the song and video perfectly sum up the challenges of being creative (among other things) during this lifetime. It's an important track for me, and I think I'll call it my "theme song" as I try to finally wrap up this project (the video documentary is yet another thing... sigh...)!

Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment