Sunday, December 2, 2012

The Answer My Friends...

What a nice weekend. Sarah and I had a chance to reconnect with friends--by phone and in person--and enjoyed stepping out in Schenectady every night this weekend. We just got back from Proctors Theater, where we saw a staged reading of a play called Hell and High Water, that my buddy Frank took part in. This creative show was written about Hurricane Katrina, and the reading was to benefit the Actors Fund emergency relief for performing artists impacted by Super Storm Sandy. It was a strong cast, and I was impressed that they had only met twice previously to rehearse... I suppose props must go to writer/director Jamuna Yvette Sirker. I talked with Frank afterward about how hard it is to commit to a doing a full show, when you have so many other things up in the air... our improv group is a little looser, and serves as a good performing outlet, but it sure would be nice to get into another proper theater show again.

On Friday night Sarah and I caught another theater performance here in the Electric City... Schenectady Civic Players is putting on Jeffrey Hatcher's Mrs. Mannerly, which is based on the playwright's own memories of being enrolled in charm school back in the 1960s. It was a funny script, with the clever conceit of having young Jeffrey played by an adult (Randy McConnach). It is basically a two-person show, and I was impressed with McConnach's comedic timing and ability to maintain such energy throughout a 90 minute show. The last thing we saw at the Civic Players was Waiting For Godot, and they had some issues with real-life bats in their belfry... this show was memorable for other reasons, and made me tempted to start looking at the idea of performing in my new town...
Photo by John Whipple. All rights reserved.

Still settling into our new place though... a performance in itself. I think we need to host a gathering or something to motivate us to just organize this place... This weekend I did manage to finally post most of our wedding photos on Facebook... something of an achievement there. This photo to the right reminds me that we still need to retrieve our windmill, a wedding present created by Sarah's uncle... need to take one thing at a time I guess.


No comments:

Post a Comment