Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Hope

How wonderful to wake up and feel proud of my country. Not only was President Barack Obama re-elected, but there were significant wins across the nation in regards to equality. 

Same-sex marriage was affirmed in three more states, and Tammy Baldwin was elected as the first openly gay member of the U.S. Senate in Wisconsin. There were other key senate wins, including the impressive Elizabeth Warren in Massachusetts, and the defeat of four Republican candidates who made ignorant comments about rape and abortion. I was concerned about all this voter intimidation and long lines, but it seems that people came out as strong as ever...

I'm happy that President Obama will have another four years to work towards his promise of change (they gave George Bush eight years to wreck our economy... isn't it only fair?). The idea that affordable health care can become a reality is exciting, and I hope that Obama will now be able to concentrate on immigration reform... I would also support the closing of Guantanamo Bay and re-examining of the use of drones (my only real disappointments with the President over the past four years). 

But how nice to think that things might be moving forward in a more positive direction... I would hope that the GOP might focus less energy on obstructing the President, and  both parties might learn how to make compromises that will benefit us all in the long-run. I hold dear the hope that my nieces and nephews, maybe even my own future children, will grow up in a more tolerant, supportive, inclusive country...


Related Links:

"Obama's Big Night," The Atlantic, November 7, 2012

"Divided U.S. Gives Obama More Time," The New York Times, November 7, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment