Friday, November 16, 2012

Make Mine Marvel!

Ok, back to comics...


Alex Ross, "Marvels" hardcover dust jacket illustration, 1994, courtesy of the artist, ™ & © 2012 Marvel and Subs.


















I have really been getting into this new book I picked up last week: Marvel Comics: The Untold Storyby Sean Howe, takes a detailed and revealing look at the entertainment company that I have loved since I was just a kid. Marvel Comics actually had its start back during World War II (Captain America, Human Torch, Submariner), then fell on some hard times during the 1950s (Senate subcommittee hearings about comics' supposed influence on juvenile delinquency didn't help), and then came into their own--in a big way--during the swinging '60s. Of course I started my journey in the 1970s... as long as I can remember, there's been a Spider-Man, Iron Man, Incredible Hulk... so many characters and books that filled my imagination. I even created my own series of comic books based on these heroes as young, crime-fighting kids (ask my Mom... she must still have some copies lying around!).

Anyway, it was with some trepidation that I picked up this book, since I had heard stories about disagreements between artists, writers, and businessmen over who owned what creations. There is sort of a dark (or poorly managed) side to early comic book history... in fact, I watched an interesting BBC documentary earlier in the week about Steve Ditko, the artist who first worked on and should probably be better credited with much of the creation of my all-time fave superhero, Spider-Man:




Anyway, the book is a fun read... I have made it through to the late sixties, when writer/editor/entertaining company man Stan Lee has already successfully introduced the world to a new gang of superheroes, full of everyday angst, real-world problems, and cross-over stories, filled with equal parts humor and pathos. It's fun to learn more about the humble and creative beginnings of the company that is just now finally producing blockbuster movies of its heroes. It is also interesting to learn all the behind-the-scenes... again, hope I don't get too upset learning about these artists' struggles... creative types not getting the credit they deserve... can't "imagine" what that's like (sarcasm intended).

On that note, I discovered a nice shout-out this morning on Alex Ross' website. Everyone I have talked to had such a great time at the Heroes & Villains opening last week, which managed to attract over 450 visitors! That's the largest I have seen at the Museum for one of these events. Tomorrow we continue the fun with a mini comic convention at the Museum. We will have several artists, collectors, and historians on-hand... and I'll be putting on my Spidey suit again. Should be fun.

Me and Joltin' Joe Sinnott at the 2012 Albany Comic Con.
Face front, true believers! Photo ©Jeremy Clowe.
All rights reserved.
At the Albany Comic Con last week, I happened to run into artist Joe Sinnott, who actually worked at Marvel Comics for many years, inking over the legendary Jack Kirby's Fantastic Four, and nearly every other major title for the publisher... looking at his website, I realize I have many issues that he worked on that I owned at one time or another, as he had been with the Marvel Bullpen for 60 years! He continues to work on a weekly Spider-Man Sunday comic strip for the newspapers, and was just the nicest guy! He signed a couple pieces of art for me, and insisted that we get our picture taken together.

Joe also had a fun story about meeting Norman Rockwell, while the late illustrator was doing a book signing for his Willie Was Different children's book (even has a photo). I would love to get him out to Stockbridge to help out with a program during the run of the Heroes & Villains exhibition... maybe even a Q&A. I might be just the man to do it, as I brush up on my Marvel through these pages of The Untold Story... not quite into the 1970s yet, but that should be one I'm largely familiar with... yet another interesting decade for "The House of Ideas!"


Related Links:

www.joesinnott.com

Marvel Comics: The Untold Story: http://seanhowe.tumblr.com

www.alexrossart.com

http://marvel.com

No comments:

Post a Comment