Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Postcards From The Edge

Yours truly using his spider-strength to
climb Mt. Rockwell. Photo ©Jeremy Clowe.
All rights reserved.
The book Marvel Comics: The Untold Story is really hard to put down... I have made it into the early 70s, and there's some really strange, subversive stuff going on in the comic books and around the offices! Fueled by chemicals, anger at politics and the Vietnam War, it just goes to prove what a different and, in many ways, more creative age it was for popular culture. In terms of these comics, I recognize the titles and even some of the individual issues that they are referencing, but it would have all been over my head at age five (thankfully).

It's funny... they say that the general age of comic book readers now is 30 and older... is that true? I appreciate that the medium has attracted and maintained an older audience, but it would be sad if young kids didn't have that same excitement pouring over superhero books like I did. Are we leaving it completely up to the superhero movies? 



Well, there were plenty of kids at last weekend's Mini Comic Con, so I hope that's a good sign. I posted some photos from the event on Norman Rockwell Museum's Facebook page here


No comments:

Post a Comment