Thursday, November 1, 2012

Retro Active

Yes, dear readers... that was yours truly decked out in a Spidey suit in yesterday's post. We took our cousin Becky out to celebrate her 21st birthday (which just so happens to fall on Halloween), and my costume for the upcoming Heroes & Villains exhibition came in handy for the occasion... don't blame me for the mess at Bombers Burritos though... that was Becky getting a little carried away with my webshooters.

I tell ya, squeezing into a skin-tight Spider-Man costume sure does get you motivated to hit the gym... not that I was a slouch before, but I've been hitting the treadmill even harder this week to do "Justice" to the "Marvels" pictured in Alex Ross' illustrations. As always, music helps keep me going... here is a sample of what I'm listening to:



JD McPherson sounds like someone you might discover in some old vinyl record collection from the 1950s. In fact, he's a modern artist (and former art teacher) from the southern United States, who started as a punk rocker and then turned towards more rockabilly and roots style music... I have probably mentioned before that I love that kind of stuff, and his album Signs & Signifiers is pretty tasty. It's something you might imagine being played during the "Enchantment Under The Sea Dance" in the movie Back To The Future, and funny enough, someone else thought so too in this YouTube mash-up

Another cool retro sound is from the UK band Django Django. What we have here is a bit of 80s electro fused with 60s garage rock/psychedelic. It's all quite interesting... their song "Default" sounds like robots channeling Donovan... or something. Me like:



It's funny how the freshest stuff also sounds retro to me... at least this time it's not classic soul. Anyway, a nod to the past as we look forward... it's going to be a busy week ahead, with the exhibition, election, and a quick trip back to my hometown! I've got the new Shins to accompany that drive...

Band Websites: 

www.jdmcpherson.com

www.djangodjango.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment