Saturday, November 24, 2012

My Own Spin

Supergirl and I headed back to Norman Rockwell Museum this afternoon to help out with their Superhero Family Festival Day. There was a lot of excitement in the air with the kids who came to check out Alex Ross' artwork as well as us costumed do-gooders... many came dressed in costume themselves! 

Web-slinging 101. Photo ©Jeremy Clowe. All rights reserved.
I love the reaction of the kids... sometimes we got into such conversations as: "Hey, I know your real identity... Peter!" or  "Those aren't real webs!" Ok, some of these guys are already pretty skeptical... guess that's a good thing. My biggest fan must have been this one little boy who also showed up dressed as Spidey ...he kept following me around, so I asked him to help me look out for bad guys (we counted a few in the Alex Ross paintings). 

Another cute crime-fighter in training was my nephew... when told that I was actually Uncle Jeremy, he argued... "No... that's Spider-Man!" Both of our families made it over to the Museum today, which was fun... I think my Mom got a kick out me channeling the inner comic book fan from my childhood.

Me and comic book artist Bob McLeod... cool to meet
all these guys whose work I have admired over the years!
Photo ©Jeremy Clowe. All rights reserved.
Another treat for me was to meet comic book artist Bob McLeod, who has was on hand to give a talk about his new children's book called Superhero ABC. It looked like fun, but what I really enjoyed was having him sign my original copies of Marvel Comics' The New Mutants, which he illustrated and helped create back in the early 1980s (I used to love that book). Like the anecdotes in Marvel Comics: The Untold Story, which I'm currently reading, it sounds like there were some creative disagreements with McLeod and writer Chris Claremont... but I'm beginning to think that's just the name of the game at Marvel!

We had a very busy, fun day at the Museum, meeting with many happy families... including our own.

No comments:

Post a Comment