Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Background and Experience

Interesting article in The Wall Street Journal today about how many companies are bypassing the traditional résumé and looking at online presence and social networking to learn more about their job candidates. Interviewed for the article, Union Square Ventures associate Christina Cacioppo says that "we are most interested in what people are like, what they are like to work with, how they think." Google's Todd Carlisle adds that a "candidates' early work experience, hobbies, extracurricular activities or nonprofit involvement... often provide insight into how well an applicant would fit into the company culture."

Well, OK then. Let me make it easier on those who might consider hiring me to work on arts/video/film production projects. Easy as a click of the mouse: here are ten awesome but true things you might not know about yours truly!

Another early role: as the baby JC. I was truly blessed.
Photo by Ma + Pa Clowe,  Dec. 1970. All rights reserved.
1. My first film role was in the hospital when I was just a newborn-- a training film for Johnson & Johnson. I think I've been a "ham" ever since.

2. As a kid I used to draw, write, and create my own comic books. My Dad, who worked for Xerox, would print tons of copies of these books, which I would then share with my eager classmates (I even had subscriptions!).

3. During high school I joined members of my church youth group on a mission trip to Jamaica. One of my proudest moments (helping to build houses and interact with neighbors in local communities), it was also a little painful (ouch, bad sunburn).

4.  I studied film for a year (1991-1992) at the University of Southern California. At the end of the year I found myself in the middle of what seemed like a disaster film-- the campus was right in the middle of where the L. A. riots took place, following the verdict of the Rodney King trail. Sad developments, and a little scary in retrospect. The experience gave me an even deeper insight into ongoing tension behind race relations.

5. While at school in California, I threw my hat into politics-- so to speak. I served as a representative for my school's student government organization, and also created weekly political cartoons for the campus newspaper.

6. During the mid-90s, I traveled to New York City to answer an open-call to become an MTV VJ. I made it to two rounds, but "decided to forgo the big time" and became a DJ for alternative radio station WBER, and later host my own music TV program. Does MTV even play music anymore?...

7. In addition to Habitat for Humanity and the Meals on Wheels programs, I spent a few years volunteering for Big Brothers Big Sisters. My little brother, who I am still in touch with, was named Jeremy... I only later found out that he also shared my middle name: Robert!

8. Go green! A co-worker once hired me to do a cross-country trip to retrieve some house plants (yes, this was legal). I drove from Amarillo, Texas, back to Western Massachusetts with a van-filled with huge potted plants... and lots of oxygen. A first for me, I filmed this odd road-trip (and the characters I met along the way) for a documentary I swear that I will release someday.

Networking with Zoolander in NYC, '08.
Photo by Jeremy Clowe. All rights reserved.
9. While networking in New York City, I once ran into both Ben Stiller and Tina Fey... on the same day! Fey asked me "are you an actor?..."

10. Performing in various theater, video and film productions over the years, I also had the opportunity to work as an extra for the feature films War of the Worlds (2005) and Taking Woodstock (2009). Immortalized in both films, I also made some sweet money and was offered the chance to join The Screen Actor's Guild-- not bad! Working for two big name Hollywood directors on professional film sets was also a valuable education.

##


So there you have it! Keep reading this blog for more shocking revelations. And for you traditionalists, I can still dust off the old resume at your request...

No comments:

Post a Comment