Friday, January 20, 2012

Let's Stay Together... in 2012!

In light of my recent post on soul music, I found this video clip amusing--President Obama singing Al Green's "Let's Stay Together" during a fundraiser at New York's Apollo Theater yesterday. The Commander-in-Chief actually has a pretty decent voice-- not sure I could picture Mitt Romney or Newt Gingrich pulling this off!



Apparently soulsters Green and India Arie had just performed at the legendary venue, and were in the audience as well. I have to say that the Apollo has a great vibe-- I caught Morrissey there a few years back, and I couldn't help but imagine all the fab soul artists who had performed in its halls.

Speaking of performing, I'll be back on the boards with the Royal Berkshire Improv Troupe (RBIT) in just a few hours. I'm looking forward to it... and perhaps I'll be singing some Reverend Al at karaoke afterwards! I've had a good run of workouts this week, and feeling centered and well-supported... so I hope it bodes well.

On a different kind of supporting note, I worked as a volunteer in Albany, New York, on Obama's election campaign back in 2008, and although it hasn't been a perfect four years, I'm proud of many of the things he has managed to achieve during this time. I haven't decided whether I will campaign for him again, but I'm strongly considering it (a little Al Green doesn't hurt!). Also, I might have a multimedia project coming down the pipeline in the next few months that looks at his presidency so far-- will keep you posted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment