Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year...

...that's an understatement-- I have high expectations for this one!

We had a good time last night-- a relatively low-key evening with friends, at home in the Capital Region. The evening consisted of good food, drinks, playing Catch Phrase (addicting!), and watching Dick Clark's Neon Rocking Eve (seriously, what is up with the self-tanning lotion?). We were out fairly late, but I still woke up early. As I mentioned in the last post, I have a lot planned for this year... and I guess I did not want to waste any time.

I continued some work in preparation for a show I am involved with in New York City at the end of this week (more in tomorrow's post), and made some edits to other projects I am working on. U2's "New Year's Day" was in my head following Friday night's stellar karaoke outing, and so I just had to YouTube that! The rest of the day was spent doing some cleaning (which always makes me feel better... and more creative), and helping Sarah look at some ideas for our wedding.

I think we're both learning how much work is actually involved in planning for the big day (7/15 to be exact). I was surprised by how long it took to figure out our venue, and the date was tricky too... since this will be an interfaith ceremony (my Christian to her Jewish). Things are coming together though. I think we're finally entering the stage where it will be both fun and creative to start planning.

Sarah is very artistic as well. I know she is excited to do some D.I.Y. crafting projects to share with our guests and liven up the wedding venue. I am also interested in contributing some of my own creativity, but this will be different than what I have been accustomed to sharing in wedding ceremonies I have been a part of in recent years...

First off, I'm usually the videographer-- in fact, that was one of my first jobs I landed out of college. I used to film weddings and receptions for a Rochester-based production company, just about every weekend in the heady days of 94/95. I enjoyed it, and have since helped out many friends and family in documenting their own weddings through my video and photography. I always like giving it a bit of a personal touch: interviewing guests, filming the little moments, definitely covering the excitement of the reception.

Sarah and I actually met out dancing, so that will be a must to have documented! Having said that, I realize that I am going to need to turn the creative reins over to our videographer and photographer. I know I wouldn't have wanted someone else hovering over me while I was doing their job. However, we will take our time in figuring out who to choose... and don't get me started on the DJ... that will be important too!

In terms of my own creativity, I am thinking of doing something with video projection. Maybe some old family footage, or something more abstract. Waterfalls are also important to us, so we will probably do something to represent that (bring a raincoat). What creative ideas have you seen at weddings? Please share your thoughts here-- we would appreciate it. Of course, I am a bit of a ham... the "art of throwing a party!" That will be a fun way to express myself as well.

The attached photo is from our friends Liz and Adam's wedding a few years ago (which, incidentally, I also videotaped). I love this shot-- it pretty much perfectly captures the chemistry Sarah and I have. Maybe we'll have to look into this photographer, whose name unfortunately escapes me.

Above all, it should be fun... keep the expectations high, but the creativity loose.

For auld lang syne, my dear 
For auld lang syne, 
We’ll tak a cup o’ kindness yet 
For auld lang syne!

Here's to 2012... Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment