Sunday, January 8, 2012

Born To Rock!

I saw double just the other day at MoMa
thankyouverymuch! Artwork by Andy Warhol,
1963. (c)2011 Andy Warhol Foundation
for the Visual Arts/Artists Rights Society
(ARS), New York.
I must say that I was little envious of the poets I have worked with over this past month. To write their own material, and then get up onstage and perform it in front of an audience seems like a pretty sweet deal. It has been too long since I have been actively performing, and I think it would be great to get back up on stage. Don't get me wrong, I still "perform" in a sense-- we have a great time hitting the karaoke circuit now and then, and "music" seems like a natural form for me to take part in more seriously.

I am always amazed this time of year when I remember that two of the world's biggest musicians ever were born on the same date: "The King" Elvis Presley (1/8/35) and "The Thin White Duke" David Bowie (1/8/47). Only 12 years separated these artists (not bad, Sarah?), and you can see a few similarities in the way they worked and were received by the public. As a mad music fan, I must admit to spending some time studying both Elvis and Bowie's music and careers; they would both make for excellent interviews for my music show, so if either of you are out there reading this!...

I was turned on to Bowie in late high school-- being a huge new wave/Britpop fan, he was the name I heard these musicians always citing as being a tremendous influence. The album that first really got me hooked was 1983's Let's Dance-- it had that infectious big '80s sound, with a bit of trademark Bowie weirdness thrown in (I generally miss this mix of elements in today's pop music). Since this was my starting point, I first scratched the surface of '80s Bowie, which in retrospect wasn't really his high point. The early stuff is where he really broke ground, and kept us all on the edge of our seat with his quirky, art rock, and larger than life persona-- Ziggy Stardust anyone?


(I can rock this one out at karaoke. I'm just sayin'.)

Similarly, Elvis Presley was an unbelievable performer and musician. He started as one of the first high-profile rock and roll artists, fusing elements of country and rhythm and blues-- I guess you might more correctly call it "rockabilly" (which I love!). There is something absolutely infectious and raw in those early recordings. Check out The King of Rock 'n' Roll: The Complete 50's Masters, which captures a young, hungry (no pun intended) artist on the rise, from Sun Studios to RCA. There was no holding him back, and his intense performances (with sneer and shaking pelvis) shocked everyone. Mothers, lock up your daughters!

There was nothing safe about either musician starting out. It was only after the army and Hollywood for Elvis, and the huge commercial success of Let's Dance for Bowie that the artists started playing it "safe" (although Bowie began to rectify this after the '80s, and produced some great later work). I guess both are examples of the dangers of "fame... makes a man think things over..." They both, however, remained influential and unequalled performers.

Channeling this guy circa early 50s, in the early 2000s.
He really was pretty cool back in the day, and so was I!
Need to find a photo of me in "Elvis" mode. I'll post later.
Photo 1956 by Roger Marshutz. (AP)
I was never really into Elvis growing up-- I only really knew him as sort of a caricature, and the Beatles were the classic artist that first grabbed my attention at the age of 10. It wasn't until I was around 30 and actively working as an actor, that I began listening to Elvis more seriously. Initially, it was sort of a joke-- I began doing impressions of Elvis to amuse an older co-worker who was a musician, and loved his work. This eventually inspired us to do a few gigs with his karaoke machine, where we both traded off on singing "The King." We even had a bit of a theme where he would start singing, and then I would gradually walk in (wearing dark shades and jacket) and accuse him of being my brother Jesse, who took over the music after I was cryogenically frozen in the late 50s (rescuing me from the post-war years!). It was good fun, and definitely tapped into my "inner rockstar." I'm that way anytime I get up onstage with a microphone-- I sort of lose track of what I'm doing... in a good way!


Of course I never had a chance to see the real Elvis live (except for an odd concert in 2002 where his old backing band played against a virtual "King" live on the big screen). I have had the chance to see David Bowie a few times in concert: 1990's Sound + Vision Tour, 1995's Outside tour with Nine Inch Nails, and 2004's Reality Tour. My first was supposed to be in 1987 during his "Glass Spider" tour in my hometown of Rochester, New York. Unfortunately, that was cancelled... due to illness? Poor ticket sales? Or was it a resentment of the Flower City?

He'd rather not be in Rochester (to riff on an old ad campaign).
Rochester Police Department mugshot of Bowie in full-on
1976 "alien mode!"
I have since learned that Bowie had an "eventful" time in Rochester back in March 1976, when he was arrested (along with Iggy Pop) on a felony pot possession charge following his concert in the city. It resulted in this bizarre mug shot, which seems fitting for the flamboyant performer, who was probably more likely to be high as a kite on cocaine back at the time. He was also at the height of his strangeness--anyone who has seen the remarkable sci-fi movie The Man Who Fell to Earth by Nicolas Roeg knows what I'm talking about-- it's Bowie at his most alien (perfect casting). By why hold it against my hometown? It sounds like Bowie's kicked the habit, but has yet to return to Rochester... neither has Elvis... "The King" actually played one of his final concerts in the city on May 25, 1977. A few months later he would be gone, the result of his own substance abuse issues.

But both Elvis and Bowie "live"-- even though the latter has been in retirement for a few years, and the previous has been for even more (although some say he's still out there!). I am still frequently referred to as "Elvis" at the Museum where I performed so many years ago, with many inquiries into another comeback. Yes, it would be "good to be back," something I used to say at the start of each of my impersonations. Maybe 2012 is the year I finally tap into my own inner Bowie and rock some of this blue-eyed soul. I was born to two musicians myself, so it would be a shame not to. In any event, watch this space for news on upcoming performances (musical or otherwise). Off now to listen to the birthday boys....

No comments:

Post a Comment