Monday, January 30, 2012

Weddings by Design

I spent part of the day in Saratoga Springs yesterday, riding a trolley decorated with flowers and blasting "Going to the Chapel." Yeah... I broke down and went to the bridal show (you owe me, SK). Actually, it wasn't that bad-- I had a chance to look at different wedding invitation styles, photographers, and videographers-- the latter was interesting, because I am usually the one filming other peoples' events.


The new HD cameras look great, and it was interesting to see each videographer's style. It ranged from the personal to more "corporate" feel (eh, not sure a camera crane will be necessary). The ones I liked best tried to emphasize telling the couple's story-- interviews with the bride and groom, their families and close friends. You could tell the cameramen who "got it"-- even when the subjects weren't speaking, you could get an idea about their personalities or emotions just by watching the visuals.

Early 60s Porsche-- now where's that registry gun?

Part of this bridal event was being staged at the Saratoga Automobile Museum, which was helpful when I started to glaze over at some of the sillier aspects of the day... at least I had some sweet vintage cars to look at. It's true: they sure don't make them like they used to, and I did not realize the number of automobiles designed right here in New York State during the early 20th century-- some 100 different automobile manufacturers, with names like the Pierce Arrow and The Cooley. Apparently even Rochester and Buffalo got in on the action.


The day was interesting for me in terms of judging design: be it vintage autos, wedding dresses, rings, invitations or desserts-- each trying their hardest to impress you.


On that note, I haven't quite figured out where I'm heading with this blog-- personal, professional or self-interest? Who am I trying to impress? Is it working?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment