Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Topical solutions

I have been issued a creative assignment this week: to reinterpret the news. Whoa... didn't I just finish that with The Spoken Word Almanac Project (S.W.A.P.)? Well yes, but this is a different request. Thank God I keep up on the news... New Hampshire Republican Primaries? Nuclear threats in Iran? The high schooler whose photos are too sexy for her yearbook? And the week has only begun!... Things change so rapidly nowadays, and there are so many new, faster outlets from which to retrieve information. I still prefer my news the "old-fashioned way"- we're talking clear-headed, in-depth journalism that takes time to tell an accurate story. So here's to you, NPR and New York Times... it can't be easy to do what you do, and still attract new audiences in this "instant age."

Ok, while I get that thought around my head this evening, here's another collection of visuals I created for poems performed during S.W.A.P.'s December 17, 2011 year-end show, covering everything from protesters around the world; Superman giving up on his American citizenship; the uprising in Egypt, to the death of Gaddaffi. Not always an easy task or for the squeamish (and I'm not talking about Advocate of Wordz's Superman undies)! As they say, "viewer discretion is advised."


No comments:

Post a Comment