Saturday, January 21, 2012

It's time to play the music, it's time to light the lights

"Soul Men" (Jeremy, Neil, and Frank) karaoking last night!
Photo courtesy of Michael's of Stockbridge.
Our improv show went well last night. I enjoyed performing again with my old friends, and a couple new members. Neil Von Flatern is a nice addition to RBIT, bringing a new musical element to the troupe-- the finale where Frank La Frazia and I played singing firemen to Neil's accompaniment was a highlight for me. I left the theater with our impromptu song stuck in my head, and managed to keep the vibe going by doing some karaoke with the gang at a local bar afterwards. Let's just say that the ham in me was fully satisfied that evening-- as Frank asked me during one of the skits "where have you been all this time?"


On the theme of reunions, Sarah and I finally got to see The Muppets today. I was a little concerned that they were going to ruin the spirit of the original movies and TV show (I have fond memories of watching the old Muppet Show with my family every Saturday night), but thankfully it was a real joy... and proved that Jim Henson's creations seem far more real than all the "sophisticated" CGI that is doled out nowadays. It was refreshing, as was the story which dealt with the Muppets reuniting to save their old theater, with help from new muppet Walter, his human brother Gary (Jason Segel), and the always adorable Amy Adams, who played Gary's long-time girlfriend Mary. There was a lot of music in the film, including this hilarious tune sung by Segel, after his girl gives him an ultimatum: "are you a man or a muppet?"



The rest of the day I spent with my own gal, working on trying to design our own wedding invitations (we're playing off of our love of waterfalls). It's not as easy as it sounds-- we quickly realized that there was a lot to consider in terms of finding the right fonts and images. I think we're off to a good start, but hope I can figure out a way to take advantage of some more graphic design courses in the near future. Yeah, that would be good for me-- I'm the kind of guy that actually gets excited by good design and fonts (that's both serif and sans-serif).

No comments:

Post a Comment