Saturday, January 7, 2012

Force To Be With Reckoned With

I had a great time in New York City yesterday. The Spoken Word Almanac Project (S.W.A.P.) 2011 encore show went over very well, and we performed in a beautiful theater called Wild Project. This venue had a different feel than the Nuyorican Poetry Cafe, where we had performed our year in review show last month. Both sites had their advantages-- The Nuyorican is a renowned poetry club, where the audience really responded to our work; and Wild Project was more of a theater setting, with stadium seats and a separate lobby area (the venue actually reminded me of the former Main Street Stage theater in North Adams, Massachusetts, where I had performed over the last ten years as a company member).

Wild Project also had a huge back wall, where we projected my visuals. They looked great-- particularly the Debt Ceiling piece performed by poet Advocate of Wordz. For this poem, I chose to run footage I had shot of the debt clock in Manhattan. It was a more simple, "abstract" visual, and I find myself wanting to move more in this direction, when possible.

After our tech rehearsal in the morning, I had some time to kill before picking up Sarah at Grand Central Station. I decided to run over to The Museum of Modern Art and have a quick look at their latest offerings and permanent collection. The Diego Rivera show was interesting, and I also enjoyed looking at some of the Pop Art on display. I think this was the first time I had been back to the museum since their renovation, and the place really looks great. I even stumbled upon a unique video presentation-- it looked as if it was documenting an artist's day on dozens of screens lining the gallery space. I'll have to look more into it. As I said, this was a quick trip to get inspired, and I was happy for the reciprocal program between my museum and others, which lets me take in such things for free.

It was fun to do the show again after a couple weeks off. I spent some time talking with the producers about the next steps for 2012, and enjoyed hanging out with the performers after the show. Sarah and I got back to the Hudson Valley very late, and so today has been a rather sleepy, laid-back day-- perfect for watching movies.


On that note, here is a film-related clip from the December 17th S.W.A.P. performance at the Nuyorican. In 2011, filmmaker George Lucas once again updated his original Star Wars trilogy with enhanced computer generated imagery. Now, a lot of us were greatly inspired by these films growing up, and take great exception to their need to be updated... including yours' truly! I have a lot of problems with CGI in general-- it is so overused, and really distracts from the moviegoing experience, in terms of story and quality. Bring me back to the innovative days of the 70s/80s where such incredible sci-fi films had an organic quality, and just as much care has been put into their story!

The "Open Letter to George Lucas" poem, co-written by S.W.A.P. poets Adam "ShadoKat" Bowser, Justin Woo, and Caroline Rothstein, was a lot of fun to work on. I found some fun images, including a cryogenically frozen George Lucas-- take that! I hope he soon learns that we don't need his "excessive use of Force" (pun intended), and would like our childhood inspirations kept intact.

The poem following this is by the talented Scott Raven Tarazevits, and deals with a recent trip he took to Ireland to shoot an infomercial for the country's Tourism Bureau. As he filmed a scene about the local cuisine, where the producers had laid out an unnecessarily gluttonous feast, he opened the newspaper to find a story about the ongoing famine problem in Somalia. A little different in tone from the Star Wars piece, obviously, but just as interesting. We actually updated this one for the encore show, including a few personal photos from Scott's trip to make it more clear.

So, that's a wrap for another year of S.W.A.P. I once again enjoyed my time being a part of the artistic scene in New York City.

No comments:

Post a Comment