Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Just Say Yes (and)...

Careful what you wish for! As I wrote before, I have been itching to get back to doing some performing again... so imagine my delight in learning that my old improv group The Royal Berkshire Improv Troupe (RBIT) was going to start doing a series of shows in my old town of Lee, Massachusetts (about 15 minutes from work). My buddy and RBIT co-founder Frank La Frazia texted me last week to see if I was interested in getting back on the boards... YES was my excited reply! 

Brother's gonna work it out! My last gig with RBIT
at The Rockwell Museum, 2008. Yes, we are getting our
"dance" on. Photo by Sarah Edwards. All rights reserved.
I had my first rehearsal with a couple of my old improv pals tonight. It was good fun, and I remembered what a kick it gave me in the past! To give some background: RBIT was formed back in 2001, performing live improv and theater games to an enthusiastic public. There was something that appealed to me the moment I read about the group in the local paper, and I went out for an audition. Ten years later: 
I have met some of the nicest people/friends, and enjoyed so many hilarious and "educational" gigs as a result. I wouldn't have stopped, but the rehearsals had been a little far for me since I had moved to New York State. The "education" I talk about has been in terms of performing-- what a useful tool to learn how to open up, accept what is being offered to you onstage, work to make creative partners look good onstage, and tapping into creative energies and impulses. It has freed me up in many ways, and not only as a performer.

RBIT will be performing every third Friday of the month at the Spectrum Playhouse in Lee, Massachusetts. First shows starts Friday, January 20, at 7:30 p.m., with shows scheduled up to June. Visit the Spectrum Playhouse website for more details. I'm not sure if I will join them for the first show or not, but I am excited about the chance to flex my improv muscle again. 

Here's a clip I found from the old days. Hopefully bigger and better things on the way...

No comments:

Post a Comment