Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Standing In The Shadows?

So we have our co-officiants, Sarah has her dress, flowers have been ordered, and now we have chosen a DJ for the wedding. Last night we spent some time clicking through YouTube to figure out some songs we would like to include. Suddenly, I noticed a trend-- many of my favorite bands specialize in "sad songs." I prefer to call it melancholia, but yeah... even the Temptations. Dilemma: I need to hear some classic soul on my big day!

Ok, so there's "My Girl" and "Get Ready," but what made me fall hard for the Tempts about ten years ago were such agonizing classics as "(I Know) I'm Losing You," "I Can't Get Next To You," and "I Wish It Would Rain." When I think about it, a lot of those old soul songs are so sweet because of the combination of seemingly upbeat music and heartbreaking lyrics-- "Standing in the Shadows of Love" says it all. Last night I realized that even Fitz & The Tantrums, one of my current retro-soul faves, continues the tradition... huh!

I don't know what it is that attracts me to the bluesier side of music. I guess part of the charm of the Temptations was lead singer David Ruffin's impassioned vocals: "I know you wanna leave me... but I refuse to let you go..." However, I want to start my wedding off "on the good foot," so I guess I'll need to dig a little deeper. Actually, Stevie Wonder had some great hits back in the early days that still managed to have some edge (thanks in part to the Funk Brothers).  And come to think of it, there IS a great Eddie Kendricks/David Ruffin duet by the Tempts that would work perfectly for the occasion... for my everything. Ok, I'll be fine: signed, sealed, and delivered!

Oh, and one more thing to add to this year's to do list: finish my Motown documentary- seriously. Here's a preview clip:

No comments:

Post a Comment